Quindor

TLER / CCTL

One that lets you set the timeouts via the controller BIOS or driver, and/or one that handles timeouts dynamically.

Do you have an idea of what make and models are out there and how much they would cost?

Edited by swinster

Do you have an idea of what make and models are out there and how much they would cost?

No idea. I know my LSI controllers do it, they cost £25 off Ebay. I'm pretty sure most modern controllers handle timeouts properly to some extent, especially the SAS ones but other than that I have no experience with any controllers other than my own.

No idea. I know my LSI controllers do it, they cost £25 off Ebay. I'm pretty sure most modern controllers handle timeouts properly to some extent, especially the SAS ones but other than that I have no experience with any controllers other than my own.

So, are you saying that pretty much any controller on the market should be able to handle any HDD that you throw it it, including non RAID specific HDD's with the need for any modification to anything?

In an ideal world, yes.

I know mine do. The built in Solaris driver is pretty decent, 5 second timeout, 5 software retries by default, tunable in and by the OS. The card has it's own timeouts in firmware for when you're using it without drivers/with bad drivers.

My drives can get stuck trying to recover a sector for two minutes (either that or my testing controller is flawed, I'm leaning towards the latter) but the controller & driver can dynamically tune this during runtime without needing TLER.

On a side note I'm going to retest TLER on a different controller when I can, it seems my ICH10R is timing out after 2 minutes on all SATA drives (Samsung, Toshiba, Hitachi, Seagate) which seems to point to silly drivers.

Edited by qasdfdsaq

Interesting thread!

Some great info but also some iffy "facts" and personal (flawed ?) opinions

I would suggest that anyone looking into this issue does so with an open mind

My own research and experience has taught me that combining an enterprise RAID card with desktop drives will at one point cause issues (unless you change that drive to match the parameters the RAID card is expecting)

They have been designed with diffrent intended uses.

Be pragmatic about the issue, separate out what should in the ideal world, or what was intended when RAID was invented, to how the tech functions now.

Edited by Dawson

I've bought 3 Hitachi's 7k2000 to setup a raid5 config with a perc5i controller. They all have the same firmware version JKAOA28A.

Connected the harddisk to an onboard sata port and tried to enable ERC, default it was disabled.

After a reboot ERC was still enabled, only when powering down the machine the setting was lost.

Brand      Type            Type2          Size      RPM      Revision      Firmware      Available    Default        Reboot      Powercycle
Hitachi    HDS722020ALA330 Deskstar       2.0TB     7200     -             JKAOA28A      Yes          Disabled       Stay        Lost

I've read a lot of topics on the internet about TLER/CCTL etc, the reason that i've bought Hitachi's was because of the good compatibility with raid configs.

But now i'm a bit confused what to do. As i'm running Windows i'm unable to change this setting when connected to the raid controller. I'm wondering why this is only possible in Linux? Is it because of a driver issue? and will it be possible in the future?

Does anyone have a guide to change this settings automatically when powering on the machine and running windows?

Hi - I'm looking to use the same drives as you in Raid 5 with a Highpoint RR622 card in a San Digital enclosure. How have the drives been working for you? This is really the only non-enterprise drive I'm considering since I'm freaked out about the CCTL/ERC/TLER issues with other consumer drives. I figure that most people say this drive works fine w/o changing the timeout value but at least it looks like I could go and set it if my drives started to drop but were still good. Do you run with the setting enabled or disabled? Have you found a solution to check/set the value when booting into windows after a power loss?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by BrianAz

Hello,

thank you for this great topic. If you do not mind I would like to ask a question.

I have old computer with Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard and I want to buy two 2TB HDD a use them for Windows in RAID1. I read many interesting information from "qasdfdsaq" but I know that I have to set TLER because I really do not want to solve situations when disk drop from RAID.

I wanted to buy WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green WD20EARS but if I understand correctly then I cannot set TLER for them because WDTLER and smartmontools are not working. Am I correct?

Because I cannot use WD20EARS then I will buy SAMSUNG SpinPoint EcoGreen F4 HD204UI. I noticed that HD204UI was not test yet but I suppose that HD204UI will work same as HD203WI so it will be possible to set TLER for them. If I will buy HD204UI then I will make tests and of course I will give you results.

My Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard has two RAID controllers. It is NVIDIA nForce 3 controller (2x SATA) and Silicon Image Sil3114 (4x RAID). Both controllers are of course “fake” RAID (not HW RAID). If I understand correctly than it is no way to use smartmontools for setting TLER on HDD that is in RAID with these controllers.

So I have to use the Windows 7 RAID1 support. Will smartmontools work on disks that are in Windows 7 software RAID? I did not find any information about this in smartmontools Wiki or smartmontools documentations.

Thank you.

I have old computer with Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard and I want to buy two 2TB HDD a use them for Windows in RAID1. I read many interesting information from "qasdfdsaq" but I know that I have to set TLER because I really do not want to solve situations when disk drop from RAID.

From what I saw in qasdfdsaq's posts, he tested one drive, a model that includes no mention of CCTL in Hitachi's documentation. For all we know, his drive could have buggy firmware or Hitachi may have inadvertently left the SCT tunables exposed in the firmware for that particular model but didn't actually implement the feature. It's an extremely limited testcase.

I have 4*WD1001FALS (and 4*WD1002FBYS) drives in my 8 disk raid6. All 4 of 1TB Blacks can enable TLER and all have been working perfectly on my 3ware 9650se. One of those began showing bad sectors after sitting idle for a few months and the controller successfully scrubbed several over a few weeks with no dropouts. I did not buy these drives with the intention of going hardware raid, but that's where my storage took me and I think I've been pretty lucky. The problem I'll be facing in the future is what type of drives I'll get back following an RMA. I think it's unlikely for me to get anything with TLER, so my choice of non-enterprise drives on a hardware controller could cost me even more money than if I had just planned properly and bought the right drives. The path I took to get where I am now is not one I would recommend for anyone else...

I wanted to buy WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green WD20EARS but if I understand correctly then I cannot set TLER for them because WDTLER and smartmontools are not working. Am I correct?

Because I cannot use WD20EARS then I will buy SAMSUNG SpinPoint EcoGreen F4 HD204UI. I noticed that HD204UI was not test yet but I suppose that HD204UI will work same as HD203WI so it will be possible to set TLER for them. If I will buy HD204UI then I will make tests and of course I will give you results.

To my knowledge, WD20EARS/EADS drives (and 10/15 models) could enable TLER initially, but sometime in the middle of 2009 they started releasing drives without the feature. That's what I saw with my WD1001FALS drives and what I heard from other people. You may be able to buy used drives with a particular manufacturing date/model (WD20EARS-XXXXXX) that allow you to enable it, but it's probably hit or miss and alot of investigation and communication with the seller.

The information qasdfdsaq posted about his Hitachi drives makes me question the CCTL functionality of their entire line of desktop models. Continuing what I was saying earlier... I wouldn't rush in assuming that just because the tunables are exposed that the feature is fully functional. If you absolutely need 2TB green drives with TLER/CCTL/similar and are unable/unwilling to try your luck with used drives or desktop models that may or may not properly/fully implement the feature, you should look at the WD2002FYPS or similar enterprise grade from other manufacturers.

My Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard has two RAID controllers. It is NVIDIA nForce 3 controller (2x SATA) and Silicon Image Sil3114 (4x RAID). Both controllers are of course “fake” RAID (not HW RAID). If I understand correctly than it is no way to use smartmontools for setting TLER on HDD that is in RAID with these controllers.

My experience with fakeraid is pretty limited, but my gaming system has an ICH9R sata controller with two Intel Matrix Raid mirrors. I'm able to directly access the individual drives in Linux and run various smart self-tests without issue. I don't know if this is something unique to Linux or if Windows drivers are simply hiding the drives for various reasons. If nothing else, you could always try booting a Linux rescue cd every so often to test the drives or just when you need to investigate possible problems.

I've used enterprise drives in both software and fakeraid configurations, but I don't believe you need enterprise drives (or those with TLER/similar) for fakeraid. I also don't make a point of buying enterprise for software mirrors at work.

So I have to use the Windows 7 RAID1 support. Will smartmontools work on disks that are in Windows 7 software RAID? I did not find any information about this in smartmontools Wiki or smartmontools documentations.

Linux (md) software raid doesn't pose a problem for direct access to the drives. I assume Windows won't be a problem either, but I've never used Windows software raid...

Edited by superlgn

To my knowledge, WD20EARS/EADS drives (and 10/15 models) could enable TLER initially, but sometime in the middle of 2009 they started releasing drives without the feature. That's what I saw with my WD1001FALS drives and what I heard from other people. You may be able to buy used drives with a particular manufacturing date/model (WD20EARS-XXXXXX) that allow you to enable it, but it's probably hit or miss and alot of investigation and communication with the seller.

Thank you for this interesting information. Problem is that I wanted the newest revision of WD20EARS (WD20EARS-00MVWB0) that has three 667 GB platters. So even If I like WD I have to buy Samsung.

The information qasdfdsaq posted about his Hitachi drives makes me question the CCTL functionality of their entire line of desktop models. Continuing what I was saying earlier... I wouldn't rush in assuming that just because the tunables are exposed that the feature is fully functional. If you absolutely need 2TB green drives with TLER/CCTL/similar and are unable/unwilling to try your luck with used drives or desktop models that may or may not properly/fully implement the feature, you should look at the WD2002FYPS or similar enterprise grade from other manufacturers.

You are absolutely correct. I should buy WD2002FYPS. But WD2002FYPS cost two times more than WD20EARS / HD204UI so I rather not using RAID then buying so much expensive drive.

My experience with fakeraid is pretty limited, but my gaming system has an ICH9R sata controller with two Intel Matrix Raid mirrors. I'm able to directly access the individual drives in Linux and run various smart self-tests without issue. I don't know if this is something unique to Linux or if Windows drivers are simply hiding the drives for various reasons. If nothing else, you could always try booting a Linux rescue cd every so often to test the drives or just when you need to investigate possible problems.

Fake RAID has many advantages for me because I want use Windows dualboot so your information is very interesting for me. Thank you.

I thought that fake RAID will hide disks same as real HW RAID. I am not thinking about rescue Linux CD but I really like Quindor’s way because he is using USB stick with Fedora that only set TLER and reboot. But my knowledge of Linux is very bad so I really do not want to try so complicated solution

Linux (md) software raid doesn't pose a problem for direct access to the drives. I assume Windows won't be a problem either, but I've never used Windows software raid...

As I said fake RAID has many advantages for me but the Windows software RAID is easy to set and very stable so I think that this is the best solution for me. Only big disadvantage for me that I cannot use Windows 7 / Windows XP with SW RAID in dualboot. I hope that somebody will tell me if “smartctl -l scterc,70,70 c:“ will work in Windows SW RAID because I really do not want to buy two disks and find that smartmontools are not working in Windows SW RAID.

Thank you superlgn.

Edited by Revil

Sorry for the very late reply. Not been around much lately, busy busy!

Yes, WINDOWS software raid should not affect the ability of smartmontools. This is because you can still talk to the physical disk and thus you should be able to send commands to it directly. You might need to use their SCSI ID and not the drive letter, but that is a simple issue to solve. So if we are talking about say an intel ICH controller. No problem, software RAID or not. You need physical device access. The supported RAID controllers (like my adaptec) provide this.

How does one get smartctl to adjust TLER/CCTL settings in Windows with Adaptec HW RAID controllers?

Does Adaptec controllers have it's own disconnect timeout settings managed on the Controller side like LSI, 3ware?

Edited by dlaidkxq

I've spent 8 straight hours researching and playing with my new 9650SE. I think I've become well acquainted with the theory of how to make this work, but it's possible I'm missing something obvious. I'm having the same issues as this poster:

Thank you for this fantastic post. It felt like godsend as HDDs are constantly dropping off my RAID array -- but unfortunately it seems I got my hopes up too soon, as I'm unable to set ERC on my system. Here's some details, in case someone wants to try to lend a helping hand:

RAID adapter: 3ware/AMCC 9500S-8

RAID firmware: FE9X 2.08.00.009

RAID driver: 3.00.04.070

HDDs in RAID: 1 x Samsung HD154UI (Spare), 1 x WD WD15EADS, 2 x Seagate ST31500341AS

I can actually get information for each drive by entering "sdb,[0-3]" as target device. Smartctl reports that all drives exist in smartctl database, and all drives support SMART and it's enabled.

But when I try to change the scterc parameters, I get an error message:

Warning: device does not support SCT (Set) Error Recovery Control command

Suggest common arguments: scterc,70,70 to enable ERC or sct,0,0 to disable

That first line of text is also returned when I try to read the ERC status of any HDD.

I also tried accessing the HDDs via "tw_cli/c0/p[0-3]" but while it returns some information, it seems much more limited in its capabilities than the method described above.

I'm out of ideas here. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers,

:: petri

My 9650SE in Windows 7 x64 has 4 drives attached to it. (I will post more specifics if needed, but please hear me out first.) I am using the latest version of smartctl, 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189

I've tried many ways to set the scterc from Windows through the 9650se, but cannot. Note first:

smartctl -c tw_cli/c0/p0 does NOT list the SCT capabilities

smartctl -c sdb,0 DOES list the SCT capabilities!

So I conclude that this is what is meant on the smartctl manual:

Alternatively, use "/dev/tw_cli/cx/py" for controller x, port y to run the 'tw_cli' tool and parse the output. This provides limited monitoring ('-i', '-c', '-A' below) if SMART support is missing in the driver.

And based on the controller compatibility list here http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Supported_RAID-Controllers I see that yes, I should be able to do this, right? Their notes...

3ware 9000 series only (added in release 5.37), requires Windows driver 9.4.0 or later. For older controllers or 64-bit systems, smartctl and smartd provide limited SMART support through tw_cli tool, see man page.

Initially the SMART support was added only to the 32-bit driver, this is probably still the case. 3ware did never document the new I/O-controls for SMART support in their driver release notes. Smartmontools was tested with 9500S and driver 9.4.1 (3wareDrv.sys 3.00.02.090) on WinXP SP2. This should also work with 9550SX/U, 9590SE, and 9650SE Series. But there was not much feedback since then.

The bold seems to indicate that the tw_cli provides limited support (when used) - that is not to say that it is the only support provided for these controllers. If that were so, then it would follow that SCTERC CANNOT BE SET FOR 3WARE CARDS THROUGH WINDOWS AT ALL. Is that the case?

When I do smartctl -l scterc sdb,0 it returns "Error Write SCT Error Recovery Control Command failed: Function not implemented Warning: device does not support SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command".

The error changes slightly when I do smartctl -d sat -l scterc sdb,0 and just says "Warning: device does not support SCT Commands".

With the exception of a note regarding "common arguments", identical errors are returned respectively for the "scterc,70,70" versions of the commands intended to update the values.

The drives I'm using for testing right now are three ST3500320AS fw SD1A and one ST3500641AS fw 3.AAH (the latter does not indicate that it supports SCT, regardless of how I address it. But all three of the ST3500320AS drives report SCT capabilities when addressed as sdb.N from smartctl.)

Am I doing something wrong? Does this, in fact, NOT work in Windows with 3ware? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my long post.

From what I saw in qasdfdsaq's posts, he tested one drive, a model that includes no mention of CCTL in Hitachi's documentation. For all we know, his drive could have buggy firmware or Hitachi may have inadvertently left the SCT tunables exposed in the firmware for that particular model but didn't actually implement the feature. It's an extremely limited testcase.

One Hitachi, two Toshiba and a Samsung. But the detailed tests I posted in this thread were for the Samsung, not Hitachi. In any case I'm starting to get suspicious about my ICH10R driver as it seems every drive I've tested times out after 2 minutes. Unfortunately my Solaris system has the timeout set to 5 seconds, overriding any drive's own setting (and I'm not changing it as it's a production system) so I can't test it there.

Everyone's free to draw their own conclusions but from the four drives I've tested I conclude that desktop implementations of TLER/CCTL on drives that don't specifically advertise the feature (but still accept its' setting) just don't work. I can't be bothered doing more tests to prove this conclusively; I've been running dozens of RAID arrays with standard desktop drives since a decade before TLER ever existed, and I've never had a need for it. I've got a 16-drive array with non-RAID, consumer green drives right now, and couldn't give a damn if TLER works because it's pointless and unnecessary.

My 2 pence/cents/shillings/whatever currency applies in your country.

Assuming you don't use ZFS or any other form of software raid, right?

I haven't seen any information about whether software raid can cope with this.

One Hitachi, two Toshiba and a Samsung. But the detailed tests I posted in this thread were for the Samsung, not Hitachi. In any case I'm starting to get suspicious about my ICH10R driver as it seems every drive I've tested times out after 2 minutes. Unfortunately my Solaris system has the timeout set to 5 seconds, overriding any drive's own setting (and I'm not changing it as it's a production system) so I can't test it there.

qasdfdsaq, I love your rants and I agree with them. I'm also using ZFS. I'm about to buy more drives and there's a key point I'm not understanding which I'm hoping you can answer:

If your drive takes 2 minutes to respond to a request because it's trying to cover its ass instead of honestly reporting an error, and your Solaris system gives up on it after 5 seconds, what happens when your Solaris system issues another request before those 2 minutes have expired? Example:

Bad sector at location 1

Good sector at location 2

Solaris says to stupid drive: read sector at location 1

Stupid drive: duhhh....

Solaris: OK, 5 seconds is up, I give up.

Solaris: Now, read sector at location 2

Stupid drive without TLER: I'll get back to you in 1 minute, 55 seconds.

Stupid drive WITH TLER: good data from location 2

Do you see what I'm getting at? I know that with ZFS I can buy any drive and not worry about having drives drop out of my array. My concern is that if I don't buy an "enterprise" grade drive, a single bad sector may block my reads for 2 minutes, harming performance. If this is true, I'm willing to swallow my pride and spend 2x on a drive to get the magic "TLER" feature so my performance doesn't get hosed when I have a bad sector.

Well it depends how stupid your drive is. When Solaris "gives up" after 5 seconds it cancels the outstanding request, and any sensible drive would honour this request by aborting the read attempt - i.e. the drive receives the abort command and goes back to idle state. It does not spend a further 1 minute 55 seconds trying to recover the bad sector. I can't say if all drives behave this way, but the ones I've tested do. These are just standard consumer-grade desktop drives so I don't see this being a problem. A drive not obeying reset or abort commands has fundamentally broken firmware and I don't imagine there'll be too many of these.

So in short when Solaris gives up it tells the drive to act like the read never happened - and the drive itself should also stop retrying the read.

Assuming a worst case scenario when the drive has broken firmware and keeps retrying anyway, then yes, you could potentially end up with the "without TLER" situation you describe above. I've not seen this happen yet - though that's not saying it's impossible or will never happen. In this case after a number of consecutive failed reads (or the drive failing to respond at all) Solaris will just offline the drive from the array (either marking it as "Too many errors" or device removed, depending on the exact behaviour of the drive). You could optimize this process by setting a shorter timeout, for example 1 second in the OS, though I'm yet to test this myself. The end result however won't be much different from having a TLER enabled drive performance wise (seeing as the "recommended" TLER setting is 7 seconds).

Cool, that's a relief. I was concerned after reading this on the OpenSolaris forum:

Any timeouts in ZFS are annoyingly based on the ``desktop''

storage stack underneath it which is unaware of redundancy and of the

possibility of reading data from elsewhere in a redundant stripe

rather than waiting 7, 30, or 180 seconds for it. ZFS will bang away

on a slow drive for hours, bringing the whole system down with it,

rather than read redundant data from elsewhere in the stripe, so you

don't have to worry about drives dropping out randomly. Every last

bit will be squeezed from the first place ZFS tried to read it, even

if this takes years. however you will get all kinds of analysis and

log data generated during those years (assuming the system stays up

enough to write the logs which it probably won't:

http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/ZFSFailmodeProblem

) Maybe it's getting better, but there's a fundamental philosophical

position of what piece of code's responsible for what sort of blocking

all this IMHO.

Can you tell me how to change the timeout setting? I'm using Nexenta and I'm a Solaris/Nexenta n00b. I spent some time looking for it and wasn't able to find it.

Interesting. From what I gather, the default settings will let a badly behaving drive twiddle its thumbs for 3 to 5 minutes:

The driver sets a timeout for each I/O of sd_io_time (see Global Timeouts/Intervals). The HBA driver uses this parameter to determine when a command is to be timed out. When a target device is no longer responding to commands, every I/O takes up to sd_io_time * sd_retry_count to be failed. For the default values of these global variables each I/O takes from 3 to 5 minutes to fail. The failover process in a system configuration that includes volume management and failover support can take a substantial amount of time based upon the failover implementation and I/O workload at the time of the failover.

http://wikis.sun.com/display/StorageDev/Special+Case+Error+Handling

Thanks much for the information, and for your rants. :)

A couple of pages ago, some were trying to get this to work with a Samsung 2Tb 3FEG disk. This gave me hope because my new RAID5 array is giving me a major headache by crashing on me now and then. My best guess is that it has to do with the dreaded CCTL issue. My setup is as follows:

Ubuntu 10 box with an AMD Athlon X4 CPU and HighPoint RocketRaid 2680 card with 6 Samsung 3FEG disks attached in RAID5 (through the card, not software raid). The disks are visible to the OS a one volume, mounted on /dev/sdd. This is what I do:

smartctl -a -d hpt,1/1 /dev/sdd

Reply: (I cut the less interesting part out)

smartctl 5.40 2010-02-03 r3060 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD203WI
Serial Number:    S1UYJ1YZ601160
Firmware Version: 1AN10003
User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 6
Local Time is:    Mon Nov 15 00:40:34 2010 CET
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
{CUT}
SCT capabilities:              (0x003f) SCT Status supported.
                                       SCT Feature Control supported.
                                       SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   100   100   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       5
 2 Throughput_Performance  0x0026   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0023   060   060   025    Pre-fail  Always       -       12156
 4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       36
 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   252   252   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   252   252   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
 8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0024   252   252   015    Old_age   Offline      -       0
 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       885
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   252   252   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       58
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0022   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0022   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   064   064   000    Old_age   Always       -       28 (Lifetime Min/Max 19/32)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   252   252   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0036   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x002a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
223 Load_Retry_Count        0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
225 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       3634

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged
{CUT}

When I try to incorporate the scterc parameter somewhere (where I think it should go) in the command line, it barfs:

sudo smartctl -d sat -l scterc -a -d hpt,1/1 /dev/sdd
smartctl 5.40 2010-02-03 r3060 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)

=======> INVALID ARGUMENT TO -l: scterc
=======> VALID ARGUMENTS ARE: error, selftest, selective, directory[,g|s], background, scttemp[sts|hist], sasphy[,reset], sataphy[,reset], gplog,N[,RANGE], smartlog,N[,RANGE], xerror[,N][,error], xselftest[,N][,selftest] <=======

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Any ideas? It's a pitty the Samsung doesn't seem to hold the setting over a power cycle. I could 'program' the disks on another machine...

Your smartctl version is too old for scterc. scterc was only implemented on revision 3065, you're on 3060.

Yeah, that was my conclusion too. I directed him here from another thread, I believe he is working on it and will reply his results here! Has has never used SVN building before (which I had not also, before smartctl).

Edited by Quindor

So this works great on the Samsung 2TB (earlier model you posted):

# smartctl -a /dev/sdc
Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD203WI

# smartctl -l scterc /dev/sdc
smartctl 5.41 2010-11-24 r3216 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)

SCT Error Recovery Control:
          Read: Disabled
         Write: Disabled

# smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/sdc
smartctl 5.41 2010-11-24 r3216 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)

SCT Error Recovery Control:
          Read:     70 (7.0 seconds)
         Write:     70 (7.0 seconds)

Does this also work on the Samsung 2TB F4?

Does anyone have any Samsung 2TB's on a 3ware card with this option enabled?