UnixGeek

Logmein Remote Access

Have any of you ever used the Logmein Remote service? I have used all of their different versions of their product and they are all pretty handy for working on a computer remotely.

I've actually just been searching for free remote access alternatives for the home version of Win 7, which does not have remote access embedded. I'm using TeamViewer right now, it's free for personal use, but it's not very reliable and after a session is over, sometimes you have to physically click a dialog box on the remote computer which is silly.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Live Mesh. 'Nough said.

That said, I am constantly amazed at how well OSX's screen sharing works. Its able to, for the most part, display my gigantic desktop on my mini from my work with no ui lagginess.

I have been using the Logmein Free version for a couple of years now and I have been fairly impressed with it for being a free product. I recently tried Logmein Pro and Logmein Rescue as well. The Pro version has some nifty tools built into it such as registry editor, process listing and more. The Rescue version also works great but it basically only works on Windows.

I recently used LogMeInPro to support a Win7 users, I used for many hours at a time over 1 week, it never failed, and had some nifty features - can work out expensive, but for worth it for serious business support. Citrix have similar offerings and that also worked pretty well.

I have played with Teamviewer and it seems Ok, not as polished as LogMeInPro though.

I tried a hardware appliance a few years ago called Bomgar, good idea if you need support many people, pricey though.

Also uses TightVNC, bit of a fiddle to set-up if the person you are trying to support is not tech savy and really is not geared towards.

There are many other offerings out that, but at some point you just have to get something...and (and this is just my opinion) if I was going to splash out money on it I'd get the LogInMePro, it just worked and seemed a very well rounded and easy to use product.

Have any of you ever used the Logmein Remote service? I have used all of their different versions of their product and they are all pretty handy for working on a computer remotely.

I have been using it for aproximatly 3 years now, and you are right it works great !!

I have used Logmein.

But I used to use TightVNC on a small network of a few XP machines. It was free. There are a number of good free VNC options, I just remember that it was extremely easy to setup and use.

Edited by grantschoep

TeamViewer for me.

The great plus with TeamViewer is that you can have someone you know just run the app installation free and talk to them - heck, I did that with a fellow student on a Uni Computer - I was at home on the phone and could see what they were doing which was great as we were talking about html at that time and using Dreamweaver.

This leads to the next point - I can't get out of the university with plain RemoteAcess - I can with TeamViewer because it only communicates via Port 80 as far as I am aware - hence anywhere you have web access you have TeamViewer access.

Yeah, I've messed with TeamViewer too, it's actually pretty reliable but I find it can be sluggish at times, though I suppose that's the nature of these remote access apps.

Yeah, I've messed with TeamViewer too, it's actually pretty reliable but I find it can be sluggish at times, though I suppose that's the nature of these remote access apps.

It's sluggish because the internet connection isn't fast enough :D

TeamViewer is also quite "clever" - interestingly if I use it to send a file to a computer on the home Wi-Fi it just uses the Home Network - how do I know: I had speeds that would be impossible on our internet connection.