ccoager

SAN forum

When we re-launched the forums, I thought long and hard about setting up some forums by storage need. Enterprise, home theater/home server, etc...

I'd love nothing more than to have a great Enterprise forum here. And, I'm happy to set it up, but getting users to post around enterprise topics is the hard part. If you promise to start a thread a week and tell your friends to come check it out, I'll do it. I just don't think it's useful unless people use it regularly.

What do you say?

Something relating to network storage in general would be nice. HTPC's, Home Server, SAN, NAS, etc could all be covered. Only problem is traffic to make it worth while.

Yeah. I don't think we're quite there yet. Heck the main HDD and SSD forums, there haven't been any posts in a few hours. (either that or I scared everyone away? :( )

I would encourage add more. I am new here and was mainly googling around for NAS and HDD. As mentioned before I happened to stumble upon this site. Enterprise would be a good idea. First, I think the market should be targeted towards personal and soho first.

Let's put more definition around the forum then.

If I just call it enterprise storage - that's probably too broad. But I don't want to limit to just to SAN/NAS for enterprise, I don't think...that's a pretty small slice.

Thoughts?

Is it possible to have a poll? I think that it should first cater based on the majority of the members. If enterprise, what segment would have a need and how useful would it be to others? The topic "enterprise class" could fall under storage by function. It would then allow for more than just SAN and NAS, like SAS <-the flow! Granted it would be generalized but having it in its own category might be premature.

The odd enterprise question comes up in the other forums, and just like anywhere else, I'll answer it if I can. The question is would having an enterprise forum encourage more enterprise questions? Would anyone go straight there while skipping the other, more general forums?

I would anticipate the enterprise forum being slow, but interesting.

I'm very much an enterprise bod (server admin on a team managing hundreds of physical and virtual servers in an organisation with 10,000+ users, using all sorts of HP kit, VMware, Citrix, etc.), but even so I don't often ask or answer questions about enterprise storage here - I tend to pick up what I need to know without needing to focus specifically on enterprise usage.

Still, why not trial it? If in 6 months it has less than, say, 20 topics or 100 replies, merge it with the other subforums.

I vote for an enterprise storage forum. I just posted a question at the home server forum (it might help there too), but I definitely would love to see some enterprise storage love.

Thinking more about the enterprise forum - is that what you think we call it, just like the home server forum? Just call it "enterprise storage" and break it into categories someday later if it grows?

Hah, it was more of a "you guys" implication ;)

At least we're able to be pretty fluid here if we need to be.

NP - now get posting! And tell a friend!

Will do, enterprise storage solutions interrest me from a professional view much much more than gaming grade harddrives.