Kevin OBrien

I really need a SSD RAID in my desktop (this notebook blows it away)

A review notebook came in today with a RAID 0 setup with two Intel x25m g2's striped and I thought it felt a bit fast. I have never seen sustained 500MB/s read speeds on a notebook before in my life... holy crap! Slightly disappointed that I can't run full write tests on the pair of drives since it would destroy the OS and would require a rebuild but still shows a ton of promise, but this is good enough for me.

Anyone think the price will drop below 200 per drive on the G2's anytime soon?

post-47697-12670377573354_thumb.png

post-47697-12670377620724_thumb.png

I see the prices falling, but not as fast as we'd all like. The good news is though, that OCZ, Crucial and others are cranking out high end SSDs that will force Intel to both continue to innovate on the performance side, but also to drive prices down.

But even as-is, those 80GB Intel X25m G2's go for about $225 right now. $450 to get performance like that is probably well worth it to the right kind of buyer.

BTW - how many notebooks are supporting RAID these days?

Most large gaming notebooks support RAID but as drives start getting smaller I don't think it is too far off before we see more notebooks supporting it. The Dell Latitude Z600 had two SSD's for internal storage but I am pretty sure it was only for separate drives without RAID as an option.

A good rule of thumb is that if the notebook is over 3" think and cost more than a used car chances are good it supports RAID.

Do these all use motherboard embedded RAID or some other software-style integration? Any limitations on the types of 2-drive RAID implementations you can enable?

That is impressive, I've only messed with low-end hardware so can only imagine how awesome that must have been. Also, out of curiosity, how much does that notebook retail for?

As for the pricing, like with most innovations, as time progresses prices drop but I'm not really sure of a particular time-frame. My guess is that by the time the next Windows is released a majority of the affordable medium-end laptops will definitely support RAID.

Most offer the same options as desktop boards but you usually run into the limitation of how many drives it can support. This particular Clevo-based notebook supports 3 drives (its really huge). Other notebooks with two drives are limited to RAID 0/1.

That is impressive, I've only messed with low-end hardware so can only imagine how awesome that must have been. Also, out of curiosity, how much does that notebook retail for?

As for the pricing, like with most innovations, as time progresses prices drop but I'm not really sure of a particular time-frame. My guess is that by the time the next Windows is released a majority of the affordable medium-end laptops will definitely support RAID.

This notebook can be yours for the low low price of 4,000 bucks ;)

http://www.malibal.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=148

If you drop the CPU down to the base Core i7 processor, 4GB of RAM instead of 8GB, and just use a DVDRW drive instead of Bluray it drops the price down to ~2,800 with the dual Intel SSDs. Not bad for an 18.4" 1080P powerhouse.

My guess is that by the time the next Windows is released a majority of the affordable medium-end laptops will definitely support RAID.

I don't think so. It adds to the cost, complexity and physical size of the notebooks. And since single SSDs already provide a massive performance boost over HDDS and especially 5400 rom 2.5" drives, the need for raid in notebooks is frankly much lower than ever before. And how many notebooks are currently shipping with raid, despite the fact that the chipsets had it since years?

@Topic: I'd go with a single drive. Less hassle and already really fast. And or consider a Crucial C300, Vertex LE or "OWC Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD". These give you excellent real world performance too and 2.5 times the write speed of the Intel without a raid.

MrS

Edited by [ETA]MrSpadge

You know, if there were more 1.8" SSD options, you could much more easily jam two of them in a notebook for RAID. But as ETA notes, especially in the 1.8" case, the performance gain wouldn't be worth it over a single high-end SSD like the C300.

Hell, I'm blown away by my single 60GB Agility I just got. Stuff doesn't load, it just is....

"I dont even have to turn on my computer anymore. Its so fast my emails are already written and sent!"

"I dont even have to turn on my computer anymore. Its so fast my emails are already written and sent!"

Just be careful with that: if the information is transferred from your brain to the PC at more than the vacuum light velocity it will probably create some tiny black holes along the way. Don't send these emails to close friends or relatives!

MrS

, the performance gain wouldn't be worth it over a single high-end SSD like the C300.
Exactly. You're not going to see standard/available factory RAID in any laptop aside from the 17"+ behemoths, period. Should you need more performance than a single high-end SSD can provide you're clearly going to be an absolutely tiny portion of the market... and you can always swap out the optical drive for a pair of 1.8" SSD's (I'm sure someone will sell it!) somehow. :)

Not to be skeptical or anything,

but what notebook do you possibly have that has SATA 6Gb/sec bandwidth. That is the only way you can see over 300mb/sec, short of SAS/FBC

By the way, hdtune is remarkably bad at judging performance of raid arrays in general

K-TRON

Edited by K-TRON

MrSpadge' date='04 March 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1267744220' post='259882']

Couldn't they just use 2 SATA2 channels for the raid?

MrS

That is basically exactly what it is ;)

MrSpadge' date='04 March 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1267744220' post='259882']

Couldn't they just use 2 SATA2 channels for the raid?

MrS

I see, The few laptops I have worked on which had two sata ports, shared the same SATA channel.

That makes sense if they are on separate channels,

K-TRON