Sign in to follow this  
Narutino

Still need external HDD's?

I have an old Maxtor external hard disk with 300 GB capacity. Before I used it to backup my data. But now with the highly increasing capacity of hard disks, I don't think that I will still need the Maxtor. Should I keep it anyway?

Well now, unless you have to nurture it, I don't see any reason to throw it away. It's pretty bad not to have 300 GB of storage when you need it. But, if you still consider it's not worth keeping it, at least dispose it at a reciclying facility.

My drawer full of now tiny USB drives agrees. Hang onto it...often a friend or family member could find use for such storage. You never know...use it as a backup to the backup.

I'd definitely hold on to it as it could prove useful when one of your friends or relatives need to backup their HDD and you don't want to lease out your main storage (for obvious reasons). It should have more than enough storage for the average Joe's computer. As someone else pointed out, could come in handy for personal use as well in the unfortunate event that your newer drives fail.

Besides its usefulness in backup when the current hard disk fails, you can study the parts that are inside the hard disk. I don't throw old parts of my computer because I try to learn from them. I have collections of floppy disks without casing, although most of them have molds already. I also keep damaged hardwares like CD-Rom, sound card, video card and a couple of floppy drives. I like to open them up and look at the internet about the parts of that hardware.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will just keep the external HDD. It will harm nobody anyway. And that's a good point, Fileholder. You can learn much more by observing the hardware than by just reading books.

One useful task for an old hard drive is for media storage to be linked with something like a WD TV or similar standalone media player. I have an old 40GB Fujitsu drive chilling in a USB enclosure for my WD TV right now. I usually copy over a few TV episodes and movies at a time so as long as it is above like 10GB it is perfect for my needs.