Are you using a 64 bit   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using a 64-bit OS?

• Yes.
    • No.

I've used only 32-bit OSes most of my life up until recently when I was finally able to afford a 64-bit capable PC (proudly running Windows 7 Ultimate). I actually plan on dual-booting with Linux as well and am in the process of selecting a good 64-bit distro. So, any other 64-bit users out there? From what I've seen in the forum so far, I predict there will be a lot of "Yes." answers in the poll.

My last computer was 32-bit but the replacement they sent me (mine died completely) has 64-bit. Still Vista, unfortunately. I was hoping for a free update to Win 7 but you can't have it all. I haven't noticed a bit of difference from the 32-bit to the 64-bit so far but I've only been using it for a couple days. What is the difference in the end?

I have been using 64 Bit for a few years and fought hard for it on another site previous to this... In my own experience, I don't find any performance increase in 64Bit but do find it to be alot more stable. Conversely, chances of picking up a virus are significantly less (notice I did not say eliminated).

I remember way back when everyone laughed believing 64bit could not make it because the software developers would never invest with the programs...

If anything, it is worth it strictly for technological advance I think and...its free! If you have a 32bit version, simply find yourself a 64bit retail version on the net (they are everywhere) and use your key to activate it. There are no legal concerns that I am aware of.

I did not know that there was less risk of a virus with the 64-bit operating system. That's always a good thing to hear. So far the only problem I'm having is that my Diablo games do not work and I can't seem to find a patch that will make them compatible.

I did not know that there was less risk of a virus with the 64-bit operating system. That's always a good thing to hear. So far the only problem I'm having is that my Diablo games do not work and I can't seem to find a patch that will make them compatible.

What version of Win7 are you using? I know Ultimate gives you full compatibility with other OS's and versions back to and including Win 95. Right click on th games properties and then the Compatibility tab.

I'm using 32-bit until now because I'm afraid of change. What is the first thing I need to change if I want to migrate to 64-bit? What hardwares can I reuse if I make the transfer?

Nothing to be afraid of per se, but your system has to support 64-bit and that starts with the processor. Which CPU do you have?

With no 64bit capable machines in the house a 32bit OS is the only choice. The most powerful is a 2GHz Sempron Radeon200M laptop w/1GB Ram an 60GB HD on MEPIS7. I've only had cause to boot WinXP 2 or 3 times in a year for an Astronomy app. MEPIS8 works quite well, on the Celery1500 512MB 40GB & 8GB w/64MB GeForce graphics. That will change this year - my Mother's Celery1500 will be upgraded. Probably to an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO (for the RS232 serial and Parallel outputs - still in use), Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz (initially), & Kingston (2 x 2GB)DDR3 ECC Unbuffered 1333. In terms of drives the Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB looks like the sweet spot (primarily for the 5 year warranty, presumed reliability, good performance, and capacity for the price), but there's no rush - I have 74GB Raptors on hand (2 for RAID1) to start with. An OCZZ550 550W ATX12V 2.2/ EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80+SILVER for less than $80 should be more than sufficient to handle upgrades later. The OS will be MEPIS8_32/8.5_64 dual boot, with WinXP32 in a VM as required (I have a couple of never used licenses) - Win7_64 (or Win8_64) will be added later if needed (this is application dependent).

I'm glad to see Storage Review as an active review site again. My old login has long since been invalidated. I look forward to great storage reviews for many years to come. When it comes to storage reviews all the other sites have been incomplete, misleading, or flat out wrong, so I've kept checking back for Leaderboard updates and new reviews. Keep the review and updates coming and I be sure to refer to the site often as the web really needs a good choice for real world information focused on storage choices and configuration tips, not just another bunch of benchmarketing myths as a sideline.

I did not know that there was less risk of a virus with the 64-bit operating system.

There isn't, AFAIK. However, newer versions of Windows with User Account Control (UAC) sent to one of the more intrusive levels do a much better job stopping some viruses that traditionally come in through the front door, as it may...

No.

Not had a need for it yet - and ever since I started with photography... well, I'm too lazy to track down Sony for a 64Bit OEM copy... then mess with drivers and what not...

I suppose I could benefit - but I don't want to spend any time on it...

On the other had, 32Bit will do me fine for some time to come.

(Until my next computer which possibly will be a while unless I win the lottery or something similar)

I used 64-bit Mythbuntu, and later the 64-bit Windows 7 Beta for my HTPC, but when the time came to switch to the final version I chose 32-bit, simply because it simplified some of the tweaks I wanted to make regarding codecs, plug-ins etc. for Windows Media Center. It's only got 2 GB of RAM, so software compatibility wins in this case.

My main PC is on 32-bit XP, but when I upgrade that I'll go to 64-bit Windows 7, and probably 6 or 8 GB of RAM. I might alienate my old scanner, but I don't use that much any more, and I can always run XP in a VM for anything incompatible.

There isn't, AFAIK. However, newer versions of Windows with User Account Control (UAC) sent to one of the more intrusive levels do a much better job stopping some viruses that traditionally come in through the front door, as it may...

It's not inherent in the 64-bit architecture but it's part of how Windows (Vista/7) was built. The 64-bit kernel was simply made more secure by design, with differing code as well as design philosophies. One example is how 64-bit Windows won't allow unsigned driver installations whereas 32-bit Windows will. Plus a 32-bit rootkit won't be able to infect a 64-bit kernel without being rewritten.

As for my use of 64-bit OS's, all my machines since 2004 have been 64-bit capable but I didn't actually start using 64-bit Windows till 2007. Even then I didn't actually *need* to use a 64-bit OS till 2009, but now all my machines require it and thus they all run it.

I've been using 64-bit since 2007 and the only reason is that my cpu can handle it. It just works so why shouldn't I use it. I've seen a few benchmarks and some things are faster, some things aren't. I doubt I actually notice the difference. It just feels good.

I know very little about 64bit OS, but I wanted to upgrade my 32bit Vista Ultimate to Windows 7. Is it possible to upgrade that laptop to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit? I don't understand how the OS and the Hardware interact in that way. Maybe this is a dumb question, idk, help me out ^^

I know very little about 64bit OS, but I wanted to upgrade my 32bit Vista Ultimate to Windows 7. Is it possible to upgrade that laptop to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit? I don't understand how the OS and the Hardware interact in that way. Maybe this is a dumb question, idk, help me out ^^

Considering that you could have a Pentium 1 processor I will say no.

(Real answer: Most likely yes, but if you just say "a laptop" then we have no idea what hardware you have - if you have a Core2Duo or newer then it should be possible - you may run into driver problems if you need specialized drivers)

And on a side note:

Why did you waste money buying ultimate? Or are you a student and got it for 40$/€?

Edited by DetlevCM

Considering that you could have a Pentium 1 processor I will say no.

(Real answer: Most likely yes, but if you just say "a laptop" then we have no idea what hardware you have - if you have a Core2Duo or newer then it should be possible - you may run into driver problems if you need specialized drivers)

And on a side note:

Why did you waste money buying ultimate? Or are you a student and got it for 40$/€?

Sorry, yes it is a Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 3gb ram, but I guess since you asked that, it means there is some tie between 64bit OS and specific hardware which is what I wanted to know. The laptop begot the question.

I got Vista Ultimate because I wanted all the home and business features. I had run into issues at work with Vista Business not being able to play DVD movies (which was resolved with a free codec pack) as well as other issues, but I wanted some of the features like hdd encryption etc. that didn't seem available from any of the home versions. The price difference was only about $10 to have it pre-installed by the manufacturer, so I figured it was a good move.

Sorry, yes it is a Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 3gb ram, but I guess since you asked that, it means there is some tie between 64bit OS and specific hardware which is what I wanted to know. The laptop begot the question.

I got Vista Ultimate because I wanted all the home and business features. I had run into issues at work with Vista Business not being able to play DVD movies (which was resolved with a free codec pack) as well as other issues, but I wanted some of the features like hdd encryption etc. that didn't seem available from any of the home versions. The price difference was only about $10 to have it pre-installed by the manufacturer, so I figured it was a good move.

Well, for 10$ I agree that it wasn't such a bad move - just the regular update is over 100€ (I'm in €-land) - but you have your reasons :) - most people by Ultimate just because its says "Ultimate" on the box.

Now to your actual question:

A Core2Duo will support a 64Bit OS - 3GB of RAM might leave you with less than you had - if you have 4GB installed and 3 usable you can gain though :)

The 945 Chipset supports 64Bit - http://www.intel.com/support/de/graphics/intel945gm/sb/cs-022048.htm - the 965 definitely does too, older ones might (I didn't look) - so I'd say if you find all the drivers you should be able to use a 64Bit OS without any problems.

You can use the same license key in theory for a 64Bit OS - if its an OEM key you may need to call Microsoft for activation, but its allowed - so just get the media.

Good luck!

Well, for 10$ I agree that it wasn't such a bad move - just the regular update is over 100€ (I'm in €-land) - but you have your reasons :) - most people by Ultimate just because its says "Ultimate" on the box.

Now to your actual question:

A Core2Duo will support a 64Bit OS - 3GB of RAM might leave you with less than you had - if you have 4GB installed and 3 usable you can gain though :)

The 945 Chipset supports 64Bit - http://www.intel.com/support/de/graphics/intel945gm/sb/cs-022048.htm - the 965 definitely does too, older ones might (I didn't look) - so I'd say if you find all the drivers you should be able to use a 64Bit OS without any problems.

You can use the same license key in theory for a 64Bit OS - if its an OEM key you may need to call Microsoft for activation, but its allowed - so just get the media.

Good luck!

Thanks!

One more note - you can't simply upgrade (in place) your existing 32-bit Vista installation to Windows 7 64-bit - you'll have to back up your data and settings from Vista, trash your C: drive, install Windows 7 64-bit from scratch, then reinstall all of your programs. This would be a good idea anyway, to get rid of any random crap and unneeded programs, files, registry entries etc. But when changing from 32-bit to 64-bit architecture it's actually necessary.