FDrive33

Anyone still use CF?

I remember this storage type being a lot more popular in the late 90s and early 2000s but nowadays it seems that every device that formerly used to support this, now supports SD cards which are much smaller and convenient. I personally don't know of anyone who uses these CF cards on a daily basis anymore, it seems they've all moved onto SD. Anyone else care to share their input?

Compact flash is still used daily if you are in the pro-dSLR space but even now everything is shifting over towards SD-based flash. SD is now as fast or faster, higher capacities, cheaper, more durable (no pins!), and everything takes a version of it.

SD has a huge advantage right now. With the use of adapters you could have a microSD card for your cellphone and with the use of adapters you could use it in miniSD devices and full SD devices. Same can't be said about CF.

I still have one or two CF cards laying around when I had a Canon 40D. Any still worth something in size were given to my dad to use and I have shifted over entirely to SDHC.

In consumer space? Not as much.

In industrial use? Yes.

In prosumer dSLR space? Absolutely. SDHC and SDXC don't get anywhere close to CF in performance, although I'm sure they will-- the performance and capacity gaps aren't nearly what they used to be. Top of the line CF now is 64GB and 90MB/sec reads and writes.

SD is now as fast or faster, higher capacities
Nah, not at all-- although top of the line SDHC and SDXC are damned close now...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10043-10255

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10044-10297

Exactly-its the DSLR market. I use CF in my Canon Rebel, though my smaller Canon cameras use SD. CF is fast, I wonder when it will be completely phased out.

Same here, CF in my Canon DSLR.

The other thing:

Because CF is physically larger its easier to increase capacity - more space for flash modules - and considering DSLRs start to record video, that's useful.

And some CF cards even get wear levelling now.

Edited by DetlevCM