VirtualDust

Protecting flash disks

My flash disk is my first choice to temporarily save files and transfer them to other computers. One thing I concern about is that the flash disk is easily get infected by viruses and in turn infects the computers it is plugged in. Is there any way to protect a flash disk from viruses?

Take better care to ensure that the files that you are transferring onto the disk are not infected? Surely that would be a good start. Also, scanning the flash drive before you transfer the files off and onto the computer-that should be enough, simply good practise.

Generally your computer's AV software will protect you from sending viruses or receiving viruses from connected media, including USB drives. Additionally, if you're worried about data security, Dustin just published this piece yesterday on some of your options, including free ones.

http://www.storagereview.com/securing_your_data_software

A friend of mine does nothing without everything being encrypted first. He is one that is security aware but at the same time highly paranoid. I have looked at True Crypt before along with many others but right now I still need to find something that works for everything or at least works simple enough that I can deal with it.

Encrypting a file isn't going to stop the USB drive carrying viruses along with the encrypted files. It will just mean that others are less likely to be able to access the files that you have protected.

What about something slightly simple like, putting a password on it for starters and not leaving it all over the place. My work office is really bad for leaving flash drives around, and then they wonder why we end up purchasing in bulk to replace them. :(

What about something slightly simple like, putting a password on it for starters and not leaving it all over the place. My work office is really bad for leaving flash drives around, and then they wonder why we end up purchasing in bulk to replace them. :(

A password doesn't protect from viruses either.

The only thing that you can make sure that your USB flash disk doesn't carry any virus is by formatting it regularly. Autorun programs are the most common programs where the virus resides. We experience this when some programs automatically run when we plug in the USB drive.

There is a way to stop the USB drive from running programs automatically. Right click the drive, select the AutoPlay on the top tabs then tick the option "Prompt me each time to choose an action".

That's a good tips about keeping your USB drive from running programs automatically Fileholder, thanks. But is it not too tedious to format your flash disk regularly? I use mine not only to transfer files but also to store them. :P

I think that if you do a good virus and spyware scan on the data that you are backing up to your flash drive, you should be fine. I will also agree with encrypting your files before storing them on portable media, But that would also depend on the type of data that you are storing on the flash drive.

Normally I will scan my flash disk right way after plugging it in my computer. Is there any way to protect the flash disk automatically, something serving as a "shell" for the flash disk?

Normally I will scan my flash disk right way after plugging it in my computer. Is there any way to protect the flash disk automatically, something serving as a "shell" for the flash disk?

Not that I am aware of.