Sign in to follow this  
jenni4

Help me with an easy and affordable backup..

I don’t want to take regular backup of my important data on any storage device. Really become fed up of doing this from last seven months. Always I have to take daily backup and also have to keep those storage devices with great care. Now I want an easy and affordable way to keep myself out of these tensions and workload.

Please guys help me.

How much data are you talking about? There are a lot of online options that might work depending on the amount of data and your typical connection speed.

Also, it sounds like you're using an external backup right now. Can you tell us more about what you don't like about that method? I know it's not perfect, but knowing what you like or don't like would be helpful.

Hi,

I haven't heard of online storage before just now- is that like uploading all your files to a site and paying them to store them?

At the moment I have 2TB full and I keep having problems with them failing. Ultimately, I would prefer two methods of back-up but dvds can be so tedious.

Online data backup service does multiple tasks for you. You will get an extra storage to safe keep your files. Backing up your data online provides guard against files being infected by malicious software. With the Cost-efficient online data backup service you don’t need to worry that the data will be lost or corrupted.

It maintains the integrity of your files and being automated backup method it is also more convenient to use. You can also enjoy unlimited storage depending on your subscription with online backup service provider.

You can also try: onlinedatabackupsolutions.com

Edited by teller

Online storage sounds like a pretty good back up. It's weird to think all your files are floating around in space somehwere... kinda.

I guess the biggest plus is I can then access my data from home and work without carrying around a big ol drive. :P

Online storage isn't always that great. I have some but unless the names of my files match their coding, they won't upload. For example, one online storage site only lets me do files that have no spaces in them, like "onetwothree.jpg" so if my name is "one two three.jpg" it won't take it. I've found this to be very annoying.

I'm using Crashplan. I can back up any computer I own, regardless of where it is located (i.e. kids at college or computers in another home etc) for 100 dollars a year for unlimited space. Be aware that with a lot of data to backup it can take a couple of weeks to get it all backed up online somewhere. Their storage facility is supposedly underground in Minnesota I think.

There are a number of similiar services that are around the same price.

This is a pretty good article summing up a few of the more popular options, and some others are in the comments.

Online storage isn't always that great. I have some but unless the names of my files match their coding, they won't upload. For example, one online storage site only lets me do files that have no spaces in them, like "onetwothree.jpg" so if my name is "one two three.jpg" it won't take it. I've found this to be very annoying.

Is this problem occurs with every online support? I think I should think once before using online method. Isn't it?

Edited by jenni4

I have not run into that sort of problem. I tend to name files without spaces since I'm used to linux. But I'm sure some of the files I've backed up on my windows boxes have spaces. I use both Crashplan and Dropbox, and both seem to handle that situation fine.

Is this problem occurs with every online support? I think I should think once before using online method. Isn't it?

No.. this problem varies from software to software. It also depends on the functionality and features of backup software that you are using.

I don't know if this scheme will work for you, but for our purposes at my office,

we have evolved into a very simple yet effective backup procedure, using older PCs

solely for backup purposes (and nothing else, except Windows Updates)

e.g. ASUS PGA-478 socket motherboard with 3.2 GHz Intel Prescott CPU:

(1) network all PCs through a Gigabit switch and Gigabit NICs,

preferably Intel model NICs (because they are very robust and fast);

the Linksys model EG008W Gigabit switch works very well for us:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121&Tpk=N82E16833106121

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124020

This switch is NOT a router, however; our router sits between this switch

and a Comcast cable modem. With this topology, PCs talk to each other

at Gigabit speeds, and to the Internet at much slower speeds ~16 Mbps

limited by the cable modem.

(2) populate each chassis with one hard disk drive per 3.5" bay;

empty 5.25" drive bays can also have 3.5" HDDs, using any

of the many internal enclosures that install in 5.25" bays,

preferably with active cooling fans e.g. this is a very

cost-effective 5.25" internal enclosure with active cooling:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993031

(and the HDD tray is also removable)

Or, if you are interested in exploring the 2.5" form factor,

there are some really cool 4-in-1 enclosures e.g.

Enhance Technology's X14, and these units from Thermaltake and Icy Dock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998143&Tpk=N82E16817998143

http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/multidrive/x14.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994095&Tpk=N82E16817994095

(3) on your preferred schedule, XCOPY all key top-level folders

across this Gigabit LAN to the "storage servers", which are just

other XP or Windows 7 PCs with shared partitions;

e.g. from the source PC, in Windows Command Prompt:

XCOPY folder X:\folder /s/e/v/d

Where,

X = target partition on storage server PC

(a sequence of such commands can be executed in a .bat batch file;

but, be aware that XCOPY does not like REALLY LOOOOOOOONG filenames)

(4) turn the target "storage server" OFF when not in use;

this prolongs its useful life, and all component HDDs, and

it also has the extra benefit that no virus or malware

can infect a PC that is powered OFF!

(5) all PCs in this SOHO LAN are powered by quality

UPS units e.g. American Power Conversion ("APC" brand)

with software shutdown enabled via USB cables.

Hope this helps.

MRFS

Most third party backup software can do it! i can recommend you one backup software, todo backup. It can do automated schedule backup according to your settings. if you are home users, you can download the free version.

Edited by geekwlover