Sign in to follow this  
jenniferrubin

How to detect HDD

What hardware are we talking about here? Only HDDs or just about any?

My first suggestion is to open the Device Manager and see if everything is ok in there. If you have any yellow signs, then you have a missing/wrong/corrupted driver.

Edited by Katy

What do you mean by not detecting? Can it be seen in BIOS? Can it not be seen? PATA or SATA? USB?

If it can be seen in BIOS, does it show up at all in Device Manager?

My system is unable to detect hardware..

I have a windows xp OS..

If you are using SCSI or SAS drives, you will need to load the proper SCSI/SAS drivers to a floppy disc, than press F6, when windows tells you to. Windows will ask you to select the drivers to install. Press S and Enter, and the drives will appear.

If you are not using SCSI or SAS drives, than please check that the drive is plugged in and connected to the motherboard. Than check to see if the drive is recognized by the BIOS. Usually you need to press F2 or the Delete key to enter into the BIOS. You should look in the Boot options page and the main/advanced pages to see if the drive is recognized by the system.

Good luck,

K-TRON

Here is a better idea...

Go to Settings -> Control Panel -> System

Once the window appears, click on Hardware tab and then Device Manager button.

Another window should then appear. Highlight the computer name and click on "Action" in menu list.

In that list, select "Scan for Hardware Changes".

That will detect all hardware on the computer system.

Hope this helps!!!

If you're referring to a second HDD that you've installed, make sure it's set to slave and that the drivers are updated if necessary, just go to the device manager and follow the instructions that others have mentioned.

What hardware are we talking about here? Only HDDs or just about any?

My first suggestion is to open the Device Manager and see if everything is ok in there. If you have any yellow signs, then you have a missing/wrong/corrupted driver.

Man How Can We Go To The Device Manager IF Hard Drive Is Not Detecting To The System? Is There Anyway To Go To Device Manager without Enter In Operating System?