Brian

Forums software upgraded

Storage Review has been upgraded to the latest version of IPB. Please report any oddness here. We're aware it's not rendering well in Chrome.

Some quoted text - I'm not sure which tag, might be code - isn't word wrapping in FireFox 3.6.

Still, it's a nice clean look, a bit more modern than the old design.

I'm not sure whether allowing voting posts up or down is especially valuable, we've not had that before, and it can become obsessive. If you can't filter out voted down posts, then it's not that useful. It might be nicer to have a system of thanks where you can thank someone for their post, and it says on the left how many times they've been thanked. It may also say which people have thanked someone for their post.

To be honest though, popularity is irrelevant until forum traffic grows - though some have been members for years, or have thousands of posts to their names, there's room for everyone's opinions, I don't think we need a way to skip to the popular/important/"expert" responses while traffic's still fairly manageable.

Storage Review has been upgraded to the latest version of IPB. Please report any oddness here. We're aware it's not rendering well in Chrome.

There's several things that could be done better. First, with the [Log in/Sign out/Help/whatever] box there on the right, shinking the browser to use only one side of the screen, the text field itself becomes too narrow (even on 1920x1200 monitor).

Second, shrinking the browser to half the size also causes problems with the [Home/Articles & Reviews/Leaderboard/etc] bar as shrinking will cause Search box to collide with About Us.

Third, shrinking further (not yet at half-screen) Google Ads collide with Storage Review logo and [Home/Articles & Reviews/Leaderboard/etc] bar gets mongled up.

All these issue are present with <50% shrinking on 1920 pixel monitor. With lower resolution monitors, the shrinking would cause troubles even easier. The very idea of widescreen monitors (aside from watching movies on a computer) is to browse two things side by side. This cannot be done with StorageReview forums at it's current state. There's simply too many separate issues with it. Relocation of boxes is necessary:

- [Log in/Sign out/Help/whatever] has to be moved upwards so that it doesn't shrink the size of text field. It also looks pretty orphaned standing up there where it's now.

- relocate the Search box and the [Home/Articles & Reviews/Leaderboard/etc] to different line and StorageReview logo to a different line from Google-Ads. This is of course much trial-and-error type of tweaking so I won't even try to come up with a layout plan. Try to make the window resizable to half-size on high-res monitors, preferably up to low-mid-range of widescreens (1440 pix horizontal divided by two = aroud 700 pixels). Surely there's still 1280 pixel widescreens on old or very low-end laptops (I have one) but owners of those would probably browse it in fullscreen anyway. But make it viewable for 700 or 800 pixel browser window width. That way it's dual-windowable on high end and single windowable on many portable mini-laptops. Compatibility and stuff.

Some quoted text - I'm not sure which tag, might be code - isn't word wrapping in FireFox 3.6.

I think we got the quoted text issue, the code block tool wasn't quite right.

I'm not sure whether allowing voting posts up or down is especially valuable

I've also disabled the reputation system. If there's demand, we'll put it back in. It was turned on by default in the base system upgrade.

All these issue are present with <50% shrinking on 1920 pixel monitor. With lower resolution monitors, the shrinking would cause troubles even easier. The very idea of widescreen monitors (aside from watching movies on a computer) is to browse two things side by side. This cannot be done with StorageReview forums at it's current state. There's simply too many separate issues with it

Understand that we felt getting the updated and more secure version of the forums live was more important that ironing out every design issue. We're not done and will review your list. Thanks for submitting your concerns.

A little thing, but the bottom of the forum view includes links to previous topic, the index for the sub-forum you're in, and next topic. It would be handy to have a link back to the main Storage Forums page at the bottom of the topic, rather than having to scroll back to the top to click back there.

Also -- please move the sign-in / signout / user control panel on the top right someplace else. For me it creates this large blank space on the right side that should be filled up with the forums related stuff.

-or-

when viewing posts - just remove the righthand side altogether, then the text can spread out to fill the entire browser page.

@Spod - we'll look into the text link. Would you want it to the right of the forum name? Right now there's also the dropdown menu that can get you home.

@Kittle - The user block is being problematic...we'll get it worked out. The big thing for us was to upgrade to the new version of the forums software, we know the prior version was so old that issues like this would occur. If it makes you feel any better, we do intend to popular that right side column with relevant data.

The new forum design is pretty spiffy. By far the biggest advantage I have seen so far is I have NOT had to log back in every time I visit the site. That weird error seems to have passed where my cookies for this site only expired almost instantly.

The new forum design is pretty spiffy. By far the biggest advantage I have seen so far is I have NOT had to log back in every time I visit the site. That weird error seems to have passed where my cookies for this site only expired almost instantly.

Same here - I no longer have to log in every time. That problem only seemed to occur a few days before the upgrade anyway.

Also -- please move the sign-in / signout / user control panel on the top right someplace else. For me it creates this large blank space on the right side that should be filled up with the forums related stuff.

As others are reporting these problems, Brian, it seems unlikely that upgrading my browser is going to fix it. (And, to be honest, if you're doing things that don't work under Firefox 2, you are probably doing things which are on the verges of non-standard and non-portable anyhow.)

I'll mention DST not working again, just to put all the comments in the right place.

Edited by Kremmen

We'll look into DST now. What kittle is talking about is the blank space to the right. What you're talking about is bad formatting, pushing it all to the left. We saw that issue in older versions of Chrome, but the problem is not present in FF 3.6, IE8 or the latest build of Chrome. So I do think updating will help.

We'll look into DST now. What kittle is talking about is the blank space to the right. What you're talking about is bad formatting, pushing it all to the left.

I was talking about both -- the big white space on the left as well as the big white space on the right. Getting rid of both would be best, but either one would be a good start.

Anyhow, there is little reason to be forcing users to upgrade browsers regularly for something as simple as forum software. When millions of web pages work perfectly under Firefox 2 and yours doesn't, well, I have to ask why not just do things the way that works for everyone else?

I like your stubborn ways ;)

But what I'm saying is the area on the left shouldn't be there and we can't replicate the issue with any modern browser.

The issue of unutilized space on the right will hopefully be resolved with a new skin we're working on. The column will house useful data and we'll try to give registered users a way to minimize it.

I like your stubborn ways ;)

But what I'm saying is the area on the left shouldn't be there and we can't replicate the issue with any modern browser.

Compared to my other browser, Mozilla (you know, before they renamed it Seamonkey), this is modern. :)

It's also easily fixed. If the table statement is changed from '<table width="100%">' to '<table width="100%" align=left>', it works fine.

Not sure if it's mentioned before, but I'd like a "go to first unread" function in the forum threads. Or better yet: if I click a thread which contains unread posts, go to the newest one automatically.

MrS

There it is...to the left of the thread title is a little orange arrow, that takes you to the first unread.

This was there before, but it seems to be missing now... I'd like to see a different icon next to threads I've posted in. All it shows me now is whether there are new posts or not. It's a useful indicator, since I always try to follow any threads I've posted in, even if I haven't got time to read everything else.

Spod - we can't locate a similar feature in this upgraded version of the software. You can however use the "Watch This Topic" button at the top and it will add a little icon to the thread.

In your user settings you can also auto-watch every topic to which you reply. If you turn off email notifications, I think this gets you where you want to be.