Brian

2TB Seagate Constellation ES in for review

We're still working on our final methodology for reviews, but in the interim, here's a batch of benchmarks on the 2TB Constellation ES.

Not bad.

Is it SATA or SAS version?

Brian- looks good. Do you happen to have any inside info on when these things are going to be available for sale and where? I'm in a situation where I need to either pull the trigger on some non-enterprise 2.0TB SATA drives or wait for these, but I don't have much more time as I have a storage-hungry system that is unrelenting in it's quest to make my life more difficult :P

Here's what Seagate had to say about availability of the 2TB Constellation ES:

The drive is shipping to distribution, so people should be able to place orders now.

I found a few online retailers, looks like $350-400.

There are many, but the top ones for me are: bi-directional transfer to the drive, larger command queues; no STP (sata tunneling protocol) (though this is getting kind moot as most backplanes support it, though not as efficient as native sas); large sector sizes (524b,528b (opposed to 512) or 4160b (4096b)) which allows for DIX/DIF fields for data integrity.

Just bought 12 of these to put in an old fibre channel JBOD. Not so much concerned about performance (it's just a huge image archive) as much as the ES reliability. Thanks for all the info on the drive.

I would be interested if you can watch the read error counts on them in relation to the number of bytes sent/received from the drives. This is the main reason why I'm holding off in upgrading my 1TB's. I see that the SAS versions of them do ECC checks on reads (sata doesn't) which may help mitigate those read errors cropping back up to application level at least a little.