scud

Wasn't Proprietary, but Now Is. Huh?

Hi,

I bought 2 brand new HP Fujitsu MBA3300RC hard drives 18 months ago on ebay, thought I would be getting generic Seagate ST3300655SS and I shoulda sent em' back(Yup, I shoulda), but they worked fine, so I kept em'. I ran them through an Adaptec 3405 controller on an Intel DX38BT "Bonetrail" motherboard w/ QX6850@3.666ghz along w/ 2 GB Mushkin DDR3, also ATI Radeon 4870 and PC Power & Cooing 860w psu. Also, in the mix were 2 Seagate ST3300655SS for a total of 1.2TB. Pretty #%&*in' A #1 for this 'dummy in the basement' let me tell you. For a short time I had them staggered in a single Raid0 array, just to see, but got errors and went to 2 x Raid0 and that's how I kept it for close to 18 months. I kept 'most' of the important stuff backed up on another machine w/ u320 drives. Yeah, I really like my SCSI, I bought an old Kayak Workstation years ago with a single ST39102LW 9gb... Anyways, I decided it was time for an upgrade, I picked up a great i7 chip(4.4ghz@1.523v) from the Voodoo Man on ebay, gathered my pennies and bought a EVGA Classified SLI(tigrd) and 6gb of Corsair DominatorGT 2000(negg). I had 3 o/s's on the Seagate array and knew they would not be friendly to the new hardware so I backed em' up on the 'HP' Fujitsu array to later restore via Acronis Universal Resrore(it works great, I used it when I passed down the DX38BT to my Brothers Opteron 185 Abit Fatality rig), I then scrubbed the 3 partitions and installed the new parts. Initially, the 4 drives were recognized and the Unversal restore went through fine, I was changing out the old programs and had to reboot, and that is where my problem started, on reboot 1 fujitsu was missing, I powered down and check connections.. switched connections... tried just Fujitsu connected... etc. Because only one drive was missing I got to thinking possible failure, so I tried 'spin the bottle' and then 'freezer bag for 60min'(which I later read is not a good idea). No dice, shortly thereafter the other Fujitsu went away as well. Now, I'm thinkin', it's gotta be the firmware....

That was 2 weeks ago, I've been looking everywhere I can think to look, I wrote Fujitsu(Toshiba) last week (fax and email), but have not heard back, something tells me HP will be of no help... , Adaptec wanted logs that I don't have anymore - what can I say? DUMMY IN THE BASEMENT!! I found an HP Fujitsu firmware upgrade on biosdriver.net that would upgrade the firmware I presently have - HPF1 to HPF2 - it's from HP, I looked at it, but I think it will only compound my problem, if it is in fact a proprietary firmware issue, but what else could it be? And, if it is, why was I able to use the drives for almost a year and a hlf with no problems? What I think I need is generic Fujitsu firmware for MBA3300RC, that Toshiba would have, but not hearing back from them tells me it's political and they don't wanna step on HP's toes..... Any help would be dearly appreciated.

Thanks, scud

scud, thanks for joining. Your post is a bit difficult to sort through though, how about some paragraph breaks next time ;)

have you tried each drive individually to try to isolate the one(s) that is having trouble?

scud, thanks for joining. Your post is a bit difficult to sort through though, how about some paragraph breaks next time ;)

have you tried each drive individually to try to isolate the one(s) that is having trouble?

Sorry about that. Yes, I did, I tried using different connectors, different combinations, I even took the drives and controller over to my Brothers place to try and see if they might world work again in the Intel DX38BT, but they wouldn't show up in the Adaptec bios, the Seagate's did, but not the HP Fujitsu's.

Thanks

Forget about showing up then, go back to the basics. Do they power on and spin to warm up?

They don't spin up, the power light on the underside comes on, but if I use the connectors the Seagate's were just previously on(cause they do work) and power up, while the bios is initializing I can hear the controller calling the drives if I put my head close enough. I only did this with one drive at a time when I had them out of the case, but would assume it occurs in stereo with both hooked up.

Thanks

I'm really at a loss. I'd probably go so far as to put each in an external case to try to isolate a hardware problem. After that firmware updates...but if the drive can't be read. I'd normally call drive failure, but the timing is really odd, feels like something else is amiss. Perhaps those smarter than I can help :)

I'm really at a loss. I'd probably go so far as to put each in an external case to try to isolate a hardware problem. After that firmware updates...but if the drive can't be read. I'd normally call drive failure, but the timing is really odd, feels like something else is amiss. Perhaps those smarter than I can help :)

Thanks Brian, I appreciate you giving it some thought, but I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet on this one and take my medicine... Fujitsu is not gonna help and HP is not gonna help, I shoulda' sent the drives back right when I got em', but that's hindsight for ya, it's always 20/20.

This has been an expensive lesson to learn, but I have.

"To all you kids out there, don't go buyin' HP or Dell parts unless you got an HP or Dell machine to put em' in, eh"