Kevin OBrien

Who uses ReadyBoost?

Since I have probably 40 USB thumb drives sitting around my house on my last build I decided just to dedicate one of the 4GB drives to ReadyBoost. No idea if it will actually *do* something, but hey its putting one of the spare drives to work. Anyone else follow the same mindset and use it because it doesn't cost them anything, even if the gains are minimal at best?

I have a Lexar 8GB express card flash drive on my Sony TT. I slammed it in there and gave the system the 4GB ready boost. Does it help? I can't notice a difference. In real world usage, if I run a few apps with it in, then do the same with it out, I wouldn't know. What I would miss though are the files, I use the 4GB that's not Ready Boost for storing most of my work files. The SSD that comes with this Sony is tiny.

I have a Lexar 8GB express card flash drive on my Sony TT. I slammed it in there and gave the system the 4GB ready boost. Does it help? I can't notice a difference. In real world usage, if I run a few apps with it in, then do the same with it out, I wouldn't know. What I would miss though are the files, I use the 4GB that's not Ready Boost for storing most of my work files. The SSD that comes with this Sony is tiny.

Yea I could see with a laptop where space might be limited and you are taking away from others things. In my desktop though I have about 8 USB ports and a number of "free" USB sticks. Might as well put one to use even if it makes me sleep better at night.

I saw that 8gb expresscard thing on newegg and stuck it in my cart to buy friday (along with 4gb ddr3 and a ocz 60gb ssd) but they sold out. 8 bucks for an 8gb flash drive is pretty good in itself, but for one that hides away? Yes please!

As for ready boost, I used to use a 4gb sd card in my laptop for that, but found that it used more power than I would have liked. So now It's just mirroring my documents folder.

It was only $8. I cry at the price I paid for mine...3 years ago....sob. At least I've used it a lot, that makes me feel somewhat better.

I experimented with ReadyBoost when Vista came out; my laptop was running 2GB of RAM. I found no evidence of a performance gain with ReadyBoost.

All of my current computers have more than enough RAM for me needs. My personal laptop "only" has 2GB, but Windows 7 is very efficient; I can't remember going over ~1GB of usage even with several Office applications, iTunes, and Firefox open. No desire to try ReadyBoost. If I were to try it, I would get a fast SD card (150x) - that way it could just stay in there. My laptop does not have ExpressCard.

From what I gather, it only helps if you've less than 2 GB RAM - at which point you're better off buying more RAM.

Spod, good summary. For those of us with tiny notebooks, more RAM isn't always a viable option. I have 2GB in the Sony which is probably why I've never seen much help.