stevecs

Reliability database gone?

Granted, I'm probably one of few people who updated the database with my drives but just noticed that it was gone when I was going to put in some new drives and mark a couple as failed. Is it permanently gone or just going through a re-vamp? I used it as a simple tracking system for the drives I had here at home (~100 or so). No biggie, just curious.

Steve -

As PR noted we'll be getting to it as soon as we can. We're revamping editorial, admin tools and the forums first, then will worth through a refresh of the database. It won't be immediate, but we'll get there.

Eugene persisted on not adding drives that had not been reviewed to the database. As less and less drives were reviewed, it became pretty useless during the last years. IMO, any HDD that has enough of market share to be listed should be added to Reliability Database.

Also, different drive generations should be separated. For example WD Greenpower WD10EACS-00ZJB0 and WD Greenpower WD10EACS-00D6B0 (both sold as "WD10EACS") are about as much of the same drive model as 7K1000 (5-platter "Kurofune") is same as T7K1000 (3-platter "Vancouver"). Then again, WD10EACS-00ZJB0 would be reliability-wise be completely identical to WD10EADS-00ZJB0 since cache chip is rarely the component that leads to HDD's death. One might even argue that WD10EACS-00ZJB0 and WD20EADS-00S2B0 have more in common than WD10EACS-00ZJB0 and WD10EACS-00D6B0, especially when it comes to mechanics and acoustics. So, especially with WD, each known variant should be listed.

Well, we we get it figured out, I'll probably start a forums thread for drive requests and we'll add them that way. Unfortunately we can't just import every drive released in the last several years.

Just chiming in: I also use the reliability database, updating my drives as I can.

However, I also agree that the database needs to be updated with as many drives that have been introduced, as possible, for a more complete picture.

Just chiming in: I also use the reliability database, updating my drives as I can.

However, I also agree that the database needs to be updated with as many drives that have been introduced, as possible, for a more complete picture.

I loved coming here 2-3 years ago when looking for new hard drives to purchase for custom computer builds. Nothing else ever came close (especially NewEgg, Amazon, etc user reviews) to showing how drives worked in the real world. I really cant wait until the database gets back up and running. I think I have about 12 drives waiting :lol: that aren't in the database.