Brian

Panasonic's 64GB SD card not worth it's weight in gold

This is pretty fun, on Adobe's blog they've posted about Panny's new 64GB SD card and it's $600 price tag. Wondering about the old adage of "worth it's weight in gold" they decided to see what the card would be worth if it were gold.

A SD Card weighs about 2 grams. Gold is currently about $36/gram, so the 64GB cards cost eight times their weight in gold.

They do go on to fairly point out though that the gold card's value will increase over time, or at least remain somewhat stable, while the flash card will sadly decline.

Incidentally, do many of you have use for a 64GB flash memory card? At this time, I don't.

That's ridiculously overpriced. 32GB cards are only $70 USD. Of course, this is the new SDXC format, so I suppose new tech does come (at least temporarily) with the new tech price.

Right, so if we've learned anything here, it's that new tech costs more than the most precious metals on Earth, LOL.

I could think of a use if its fast enough...

HD video recording - that's hitting a 4GB FAT limit though...

(E.g. Canon 5D MK II)

But once SD cards work well in exFAT or NTFS and acept files larger than 4GB then such large cards will be attractive for video recording - especially if the speed is right - lighter and smaller than a SSD, and more robust than a HDD.

(Sony has HDD camcorders)

I suppose if you went on a photography trip with just one camera and one card then it might be useful - although I'm not sure why you'd do that... I prefer several cards and a laptop...

Not at this price though.

I suppose if you went on a photography trip with just one camera and one card then it might be useful - although I'm not sure why you'd do that... I prefer several cards and a laptop...

Not at this price though.

My guess is the new format thing. Remember how much things like a CD-R cost when it first came out? For the price of one then you could probably get several hundred now. Some people pay for the latest stuff.

x2p you're right, the latest and greatest always has a premium, even more so if it's Sony. Of course 64GB SD cards that cost $600 today will be $300 tomorrow, and so on. I often look at things like this as proof of concept more than anything else. It's also a big game for these manufacturers, to see who have have the biggest, fastest, etc. Look at the HDTV panel market, how many people will buy a 152" display for their homes? No one, but Panasonic, Samsung and others continue to play the game for press and accolades, regardless of buyers wanting such things.

x2p you're right, the latest and greatest always has a premium, even more so if it's Sony. Of course 64GB SD cards that cost $600 today will be $300 tomorrow, and so on. I often look at things like this as proof of concept more than anything else. It's also a big game for these manufacturers, to see who have have the biggest, fastest, etc. Look at the HDTV panel market, how many people will buy a 152" display for their homes? No one, but Panasonic, Samsung and others continue to play the game for press and accolades, regardless of buyers wanting such things.

I think you'd find a lot of people who'd want a 152" TV just for the sake of showing off.

You find few who can afford it, and even fewer who then are willing to buy it.

When the price gets to be about half of my mortgage I will take my cash and buy elsewhere. Mind you I have a few dinky ones around the place but for 600USD I would need to get a real HDD not an SD card. Seriously bad marketing idea, someone needs fired.

I can't wait to tell the photography nerd at work. He'll be waiting outside the store tomorrow morning. He was flashing around his 32GB SD Card last year... no one cared then...

Just imagine how long it would take to upload all those photos/videos! Too long. :P

I can't wait to tell the photography nerd at work. He'll be waiting outside the store tomorrow morning. He was flashing around his 32GB SD Card last year... no one cared then...

Just imagine how long it would take to upload all those photos/videos! Too long. :P

Well, he doesn't seem to care that much about data security, does he...

one 32GB card rather than several smaller cards...

But then again - it can be useful for video at say 1920*1080 pixels (EOS 5D MK II can do that, but doesn't take SD cards and is limited to 4GB files).

SO now manufacturers need to develop better video cameras :)

And "download speed" would be the least problem.

2GB from Compact Flash via USB are about 2 minutes (16MB/s ones) - Makes 1 hours if the 64GB card is the same speed, but if you go via the expresscard slot on a dedicated card reader you can hit 60-90MB/s read speeds which would speed it up considerably.