Sign in to follow this  
Guldaen

Suggest me a setup

Just lost all my data because my year old WD Mybook crapped out.. I had no backup because I am an idiot. that being said I need a new setup and more space.

Currently I have 2x160 WDs in a raid 0 Stripe which has all my data on it.

What I want:

A dedicated OS drive in a raid 0 Stripe (ONLY OS nothing else)

A dedicated drive for everything else in a raid stripe

A Usb drive for dedicated backup (like my mybook which crapped out)

-So I could keep my 2x160WD as my OS drive

-Buy two 1TB WD Black drives for cheap and stripe them, hold all my data

-Warranty my mybook (or buy another) and do selective daily backups onto it

-Image my OS drive often

QUESTION(s)

-The 1TB Black's are obviously much faster then my 160's.. so by not using my blacks for OS am I missing out?

-Should I just use the 2x1TB drives and partition them as OS/NON-OS..

Help me find the best setup performance wise that has a seperate OS drive and uses raid stripe

thanks!

Just lost all my data because my year old WD Mybook crapped out.. I had no backup because I am an idiot. that being said I need a new setup and more space.

What I want:

-Image my OS drive often

QUESTION(s)

-The 1TB Black's are obviously much faster then my 160's.. so by not using my blacks for OS am I missing out?

Help me find the best setup performance wise that has a seperate OS drive and uses raid stripe

thanks!

hello

i am not a pro-it tech or something like that

but from my experience ... its better you dedicate each one for os and other for data rather than partition them

the reason is why i prefer this way is because it safe your time when the OS crash, you got your data Save... while if your data drive fail, you still got your OS work to try recovering failed drive

however, in RAID0 setup you might get performance increase (i dont use raid0 much though)

or if you thinking to use RAID1 (mirror) it is safer than 2 drive working as os and data but at expense 1TB waste for mirror

speaking of that... 1tb for OS will be waste, if you dont using lots software/game

for me i will grab 500GB for OS and 1.5 or 2TB for Data

Caviar Black is faster by 20-30% from what i feel, the drive is good for OS, but waste for data...

for Data go with caviar green ... as its cooler, it should have better lifetime

If you setting up raid... maybe RE3 is good, since its built with enterprise class standard,

i ever using RE2 without RAID setup, and the drives fail within 1 year, either got bad sector or fail.. maybe my bad luck...

I was going to ask too about the RAID0 setup. Are you married to that idea? Or were you just planning on that config for the OS?

I'd actually not use RAID 0 except for OS/programs or swap. Any sort of data should go on a standalone drive, which should have backups. The OS and programs can always be reinstalled.

What I want:

-Image my OS drive often

QUESTION(s)

thanks!

hello

i am not a pro-it tech or something like that

but from my experience ... its better you dedicate each one for os and other for data rather than partition them

the reason is why i prefer this way is because it safe your time when the OS crash, you got your data Save... while if your data drive fail, you still got your OS work to try recovering failed drive

however, in RAID0 setup you might get performance increase (i dont use raid0 much though)

or if you thinking to use RAID1 (mirror) it is safer than 2 drive working as os and data but at expense 1TB waste for mirror

speaking of that... 1tb for OS will be waste, if you dont using lots software/game

for me i will grab 500GB for OS and 1.5 or 2TB for Data

Caviar Black is faster by 20-30% from what i feel, the drive is good for OS, but waste for data...

for Data go with caviar green ... as its cooler, it should have better lifetime

If you setting up raid... maybe RE3 is good, since its built with enterprise class standard,

i ever using RE2 without RAID setup, and the drives fail within 1 year, either got bad sector or fail.. maybe my bad luck...

Maybe i'll just use my 160x2 raid0 as OS

I'd actually not use RAID 0 except for OS/programs or swap. Any sort of data should go on a standalone drive, which should have backups. The OS and programs can always be reinstalled.

That's what I am going to use it for, for my backup drive i'll have a USB drive. Considering 2 seperate raid stripes, a small one for OS and a larger one for games/apps etc,.

Well, since you didn't specify a budget, and spending money doesn't seem to be out of the question:

• Buy an Intel X-25E or X-25M for your OS/boot
  • Upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 (I've been testing 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 for over 7 months, and it's worked great for me)
  • Upgrade to 8 GB of RAM if your motherboard is dual channel or 12 GB if it's triple channel :)
  • Disable the pagefile :o
  • Enjoy awesome performance and the envy of your friends! B)

However, if that's a bit much, then you could do this:

• Set up 1 160 WD as OS
  • Set up 1 160 WD as swap
  • Buy a 1 or 2 TB WD Black and set up as data

Personally, I would suggest avoiding RAID 0. An Intel X25-E or X-25M SSD would be better anyway, but I'm not sure if you want to spend that much or not. Generally speaking, you're not really gaining much overall performance by using RAID 0 for your OS partition, if you set up swap/pagefile to a different dedicated drive altogether and have a decent amount of RAM already in your system.

If you provide more detail as to your current system specs, I can provide a more tailored suggestion for your particular setup.

Edited by Trinary

What I want:

-Image my OS drive often

QUESTION(s)

thanks!

Threads (& their resulting discussions) like this one is what drove away many of the old timers, myself included. The fact that RAID is even talked about in desktop circles let alone now becoming the de rigueur storage setup is a testament to how many silly people there are in the world.

My own observations with a few assumptions thrown in:

- You are spending way too much time over at Anandtech or Toms Hardware

- You have been manipulated by the marketing powers of disk manufacturers

- You have been lead to believe that RAID 0 is some kind of magical single-user-environment coolaid

- you have been totally suckered into buying more drives than you need to quench your insatiable thirst of marveling at your RAID 0 STR numbers

Take Mickey's advice.

RAID 0 shows a performance boost in specific situations but in my experience not everyday ones. As noted the dangers of RAID 0 outweigh the benefits (unless of course you encounter those specific situations). I suggest dissolving the RAID 0 array entirely, use them as separate drives. Mickey's advice is solid - use one of them as your OS drive.

I would get two more hard drives and RAID 1 them for data storage. Don't forget you still need to actually back up your data off the array as well, which a lot of RAID 1 users don't think they need to do (RAID 1 != backup). Your data can still get corrupted by a virus, power surge, etc.

Just an off topic comment - I think having an ultra fast boot drive is overrated. I personally don't turn off my desktop - it stays on all the time. And even if I have to restart, it takes a minute at most before I'm surfing the web again. Saving 10 seconds by having a faster drive, or even 30 seconds having an SSD, wouldn't do anything for me.

First thing - have enough RAM that you don't need to page. Paging will kill your performance, regardless of your storage setup.

Second thing - how much space do you need? 1 TB? 2 TB? Were you planning on RAID 0 for OS & RAID 1 for data, or RAID 0 for both?

Third - what are you actually going to be doing with this system? Video editing? Storing movies and other media for playback? Photoshop? Transcoding? Gaming? Your answer will help determine the best setup for you.

For most typical desktop usage, including multitasking, then a good SSD will have a far more noticeable impact on your day to day user experience than RAID 0.

For bulk data storage, you're unlikely to need the performance of RAID 0, and if you're using a separate USB drive for backups, and use it regularly then disconnect it and put it somewhere it won't suffer the same fate as your PC (virus/lightning/fire/flood/theft/cats), then you need only use RAID 1 if the inconvenience of downtime and restoring from backup when your data drive fails outweighs the cost of another 1TB drive.

I'd suggest a good SSD for OS/swap/apps/games, one big spinning drive for data and a USB drive for regular backups. Forget RAID 0 unless you have specific STR requirements or require one volume bigger than any available hard drive. And forget other forms of RAID unless you can't afford the downtime waiting for a new data drive or the lost hours of work between your last backup and the failure.