Charles P. Jefferies

Just got the Hitachi SimpleDrive 2.0TB in for Review

Hey folks:

Allow me to introduce myself first - I'm Charles P. Jefferies, a new writer here. I will be posting news and doing hard drive and related product reviews on StorageReview.com.

Today I received one of Hitachi's new SimpleDrive USB 2.0 external hard drives - this one in particular:

http://www.simpletech.com/products/storage...ve-rev3-2tb.php

It has a whopping 2.0TB of space, which is more than all the other storage I have combined (I added up the two RAID 1 arrays in my desktop and the drives in my two laptops, couldn't even get to 2TB :blush:).

Some initial impressions:

• This drive is well-built and feels very solid
  • The stand is very sturdy
  • It has a clean look and goes well on my desk. The design is simple and there were no oddities in the install.
  • There is a blue light bar where the drive meets the stand that indicates power and blinks when it is being accessed.
  • Some bad news - this drive is quite noisy, the clicking is very audible. Spin-up also takes a long time and is very noticeable.
  • Only USB 2.0 connectivity - this means no more than ~25MB/s transfer rate at best. I got around 15MB/s however I was transferring thousands of small files to it.

Keep an eye out for our full review, and be sure to ask any questions!

Thanks Charles.

For everyone else, this would be a good time to either ask questions to tell Charles what you want to see in the review!

What is happenning? Everyone with 2 days of membership is Admin, Mod, Patron, King... or whatever...

And we are writing here since 2 years when everyone abandoned SR and we are NOBODY!

Well done!

Welcome to the fray Charles!

Well for external drives -- I tried my hand at getting an external drive for a trip I took over thanksgiving.

Despite being billed as "simpleTough" the drive lasted 3 days and then nothing would recognize it anymore (2 win7 laptops and a win2k desktop).

when I got back home, I took it back to Frys for a return. Their own test PC found it np, but the salesperson mentioned something about it not getting enough power. I returned the drive anyway as that sounded like a recipie for more problems in the future.

But for external drives - some come with an external power source and some come with a usb-only. and others seem to have both. Is there some way you can incorporate power usage over USB into your reviews?

mabye some method we can use to determine if the drive will have enough power to last for a long time.

Brian, no I didn't miss it.

Sorry to rain in on your parade but it is too late now. Most with expertise moved elsewhere and there are too many places with good unbiased coverage to choose from. Internet is not very tolerant to lags.

SR will never be SR. You will just waste your time and energy. 1-2 year down the line you will realize that but good luck anyway!

Here's the update it looks like you missed -

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=27940

Thanks for your vote of confidence, you're welcome to go wherever you want on the web. We'd like you to be productive and helpful here, but if you'd rather try to crap on what we're doing, so be it.

Incidentally, let's keep the rest of this thread on topic please. If you want to start a new thread in "Site Suggestions" about how we'll fail, that would be more appropriate.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, you're welcome to go wherever you want on the web. We'd like you to be productive and helpful here, but if you'd rather try to crap on what we're doing, so be it.

Brian, don't patronize me and insult my intelligence by stating the obvious.

I have done more than my fair share last several years on SR and I have immensely benefited from folks at SR at the beginning. I am just pointing out an indisputable fact: "Internet is not tolerant to lags". If you haven't realized that, I guess you will over time. SR will not be SR and it is unfortunately too late now. Take it any which way you want, and dont forget to reread this post after few years.

Of course, good luck with your efforts and thank you for trying.

Brian, don't patronize me and insult my intelligence by stating the obvious.

I have done more than my fair share last several years on SR and I have immensely benefited from folks at SR at the beginning. I am just pointing out an indisputable fact: "Internet is not tolerant to lags". If you haven't realized that, I guess you will over time. SR will not be SR and it is unfortunately too late now. Take it any which way you want, and dont forget to reread this post after few years.

Of course, good luck with your efforts and thank you for trying.

No, it's not necessarily going to be "what it was." What it was...honestly wasn't very good for consumers to begin with. The material is (was) excellent for die-hard techies, but was ultimately too obtuse and not terribly friendly to Joe Average.

If the restart and revamp fail, then they fail and we all gave it the good college try.

But I mean frankly, it's been my experience having worked with Brian for a few years that he knows how to grow a site. Think of it not as the Storage Review YOU knew, but as a wholly new entity with a new paint job, new philosophy, and new management. Hopefully we'll be serving some of the same clientele the site previously served, but in the process I imagine we're going to be seeking out the clientele that helped make Brian's other major successes (especially NotebookReview.com) what they are today.

I'm glad that things are starting to spin (pun intended ;)) around here again and I am looking forward to reading reviews and dicussions again as things have been kinda slow around here lately...

Good luck to a new start for this site!

I know that many consumers will be interested in reviews of externals. Those externals with interfaces (eSATA, and now USB3) fast enough not to bottleneck their internal drive's/drives' performance would be particularly attractive to sophisticated users and make more interesting reviews.

I'm personally more inclined to buy enclosures and internal drives separately, so I'd love to see them reviewed separately. And reviews of enclosures (single-drive, and multi-drive bays) are scarce. Speaking of scarce, I've seen no good benchmark reviews of the most affordable 2TB 7200rpm single internal hard drive, the Hitachi HD32000 (though http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hard-d...ade,2515-3.html does promise "a dedicated 2TB hard drive roundup...soon").

......."Internet is not tolerant to lags"
True, but the other side of that coin is it embraces new things quickly. And SR is a ready platform for a great new thing.

Welcome Charles.

I see (in your signature) that your system is named Slave III.

Are you a Star Wars Boba Fett fan, or merely a slave driver for your poor PC? :)

Haha - I am indeed a Boba Fett fan, as a matter of fact it's been my virtual identity on the NotebookReview.com boards for the last five years. :) I started naming my computers "SLAVE #" a few years ago, SLAVE I and II are still very much alive and kicking.

Welcome to the fray Charles!

But for external drives - some come with an external power source and some come with a usb-only. and others seem to have both. Is there some way you can incorporate power usage over USB into your reviews?

mabye some method we can use to determine if the drive will have enough power to last for a long time.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

This particular drive is a 3.5" and requires that the external power source be connected. Something I do not like about its power adapter is that the wall connector is large - in stacked outlets, it will knock out two or three plugs below it. Quite annoying.

The main things this drive has going for it are 1) the build quality/looks and 2) capacity. It lacks convenience - the noise, long spin up times, and large power plug.

Nice to see there'll be new reviews on SR, even though they will not be conducted by Eugene. That shouldn't matter, though. Did you get the latest benchmarking Testbed4 from Eugene? Or will new benchmarks be done on some Testbed5?

External HDD however don't need comprehensive performance testing. Nor do I care about lengthy reviews about software bundles since there's free third-party back-up software all around the Internet anyway. What I probably would want for an external HDD test would be related to:

- the usual: interfaces, basic tests, bundles...

- temperature of HDD above room ambient (open the enclosure and place an external sensor, no relying on SMART (if SMART is available...)

- SMART... is it available. Not all USB-to-IDE or USB-to-SATA chipsets support bypassing SMART data through the interface

- how sturdy it stands/sits. Supply enough pictures for viewer to evaluate it, plus some subjective opinion.

- disassembly (also required for placing the temperature probe) showing everything relevant:

--- drive used inside

--- PCB, it's converted chip & markings

--- how the HDD is mounted to it's tray and how the tray is mounted inside the enclosure. Is there rubber to absorb mechanical shocks?

--- cooling: is there thermal padding to improve heat transfer from HDD to enclosure? Are there fans or vents? (Fans are noise, vents are usually useless, I'm afraid.) Is the enclosure even metallic or plastic made to look like it's metal (like WD external drives)?

- airborne acoustics

- vibration acoustics transmitter from enclosure to desk

Basically, indepth DISASSEMBLY is my favourite type of external HDD review. All other external HDD reviews are utterly worthless to me. Naturally these recommendations apply to all products that have a USB-to-SATA-bridge. NAS devices, etc. should all be disassembled. Only the HDD itself should remain unopened...

If they only agree to borrow the sample and don't allow you to break any seals on outer enclosure, then the review is merely going to be something between a skin deep review to a sponsored advertisement. Publishing such articles won't set new standards for external device reviews.

Edited by whiic

Hey folks:

Allow me to introduce myself first - I'm Charles P. Jefferies, a new writer here. I will be posting news and doing hard drive and related product reviews on StorageReview.com.

Today I received one of Hitachi's new SimpleDrive USB 2.0 external hard drives - this one in particular:

http://www.simpletech.com/products/storage...ve-rev3-2tb.php

It has a whopping 2.0TB of space, which is more than all the other storage I have combined (I added up the two RAID 1 arrays in my desktop and the drives in my two laptops, couldn't even get to 2TB :blush:).

Some initial impressions:

• This drive is well-built and feels very solid
  • The stand is very sturdy
  • It has a clean look and goes well on my desk. The design is simple and there were no oddities in the install.
  • There is a blue light bar where the drive meets the stand that indicates power and blinks when it is being accessed.
  • Some bad news - this drive is quite noisy, the clicking is very audible. Spin-up also takes a long time and is very noticeable.
  • Only USB 2.0 connectivity - this means no more than ~25MB/s transfer rate at best. I got around 15MB/s however I was transferring thousands of small files to it.

Keep an eye out for our full review, and be sure to ask any questions!

I purchased one of these back in May and cannot find a user guide on its use. Tried to locate it on a search and not winning here. Could you possible aim me where I might be able to download it?

Enjoyed your review

I purchased one of these back in May and cannot find a user guide on its use. Tried to locate it on a search and not winning here. Could you possible aim me where I might be able to download it?

Enjoyed your review

Hi marciamac -- the review was a while ago, but I think there is a digital version of the user's guide on the hard drive; did you check that?

The user manual for your hard drive can be found here:

http://www.simpletech.com/support/guides.php

Let me know if you can't find it.