Rockrz

Hard Drives for Cars?

OK, so some of the new cars coming out have hard drives in them as part of the stereo system where you can load your own music, download, etc, so these have got to be special drives designed to handle the extreme heat, moisture, cold, etc...

My question is this...who makes these special drives and where can you buy them?

I'm wanting to get an in dash CD player/radio that has a USB port on the BACK (maybe the front too, if they make 'em like this) so I can have a hard drive that contains all my music. I do not want a stereo that has a build in hard drive because I want to be able to take it out of my truck, connect to my computer in the house to update my music onto the drive, and then go put it back in the truck.

This is the way to go, so where can you buy a hard drive that is made to be in an automobile???

OK, so some of the new cars coming out have hard drives in them as part of the stereo system where you can load your own music, download, etc, so these have got to be special drives designed to handle the extreme heat, moisture, cold, etc...

My question is this...who makes these special drives and where can you buy them?

I'm wanting to get an in dash CD player/radio that has a USB port on the BACK (maybe the front too, if they make 'em like this) so I can have a hard drive that contains all my music. I do not want a stereo that has a build in hard drive because I want to be able to take it out of my truck, connect to my computer in the house to update my music onto the drive, and then go put it back in the truck.

This is the way to go, so where can you buy a hard drive that is made to be in an automobile???

IIRS, most of the car hard drives are 40-60GB rugged drives that are not worth the price. Last one I saw for sale was a 40GB for 150. I would just get a 32GB or 16GB flash drive which can be had for much cheaper. Hell, for my stereo, I usually have a 1GB el-cheapo flash drive I got from shuttle (came with a thermos as well. Totally worth the free I got it for!) for music, and occasionally a 4GB plugged in whenever I watch a video on it (I occasionally have to wait in the car for a hour or so when I get stuck taking my brother to soccer practice, I watch divx videos off my stereo).

Oh, and as an FYI, JVC receivers are limited to 250 folders with 999 files in each folder for a usb drive.

And as for stereo's with usb ports, my JVC has a 6 foot usb cable coming out the back that I have routed to drop below my glove box. It is awesome, and I don't have a usb drive sticking out the front of my stereo.

For music archive I'd expect 40 GB to be enough, and at that size at least Seagate's EE25.2 drives seem to cost same or more than flash storage, so I'd rather go with SSD. But if it is connected with USB why not simply use USB flash stick, maybe with extension wire so it can be placed out of harm's way. Or if you have an obsolete laptop drive on shelf, you could try out how much abuse it can take. :P

There's so much fun tech coming into cars right now. Pioneer announced their Pandora in-car system yesterday and with the new car companies pushing the envelope with in-car tech, it's only a matter of time before the others realize those displays are good for something other than DVD playback. To the original point, it seems the trend for drives that can handle the rigors of living a life tucked away under a car's dashboard is certainly on the rise.

Thinking through the needs, I think I'm most concerned about moisture. The heat and vibration should be an issue, but making sure it's sealed properly, probably is.

IIRS, most of the car hard drives are 40-60GB rugged drives that are not worth the price. Last one I saw for sale was a 40GB for 150.

Heck, $150 isn't too bad considering the amount of music you could get on it.

But, I can see where a flash drive might be better since it doesn't have any

moving parts (or does it?)

Anybody know where you can buy one of these "rugged drives"?

Is this the same kinda of drive they have in the Panasonic Toughbooks?

I found an article that talks about Hitachi drives built rugged to be in cars at:

http://news.cnet.com/Hitachi-revs-up-new-h..._3-6111780.html

I've always had pretty good results with Western Digital and haven't ever used Hitachi.

Does Hitachi make good quality drives?

Looks like the Hitachi Endurastar might be one to check out.

It has a 100 gig version. I guess you'd need a hard drive enclosure that could take the punishment of being in a car to put this drive in.

Edited by Rockrz

I chose iPod Classic 80GB and Pioneer DEH-6900IPB for my car last summer. I was looking for other alternatives, for example no-name chinese player and usb-drive/stick combinations.

Long story short: Ipod is de facto standard with portable music players and it works best with most car players compatibility/control-wise. It will also work as portable drive but you will need to carry your own cable too. Up to 64GB also available as flash drive, old iPods can be converted with flash cards etc. I wouldn't throw mine into a wall but it works in the glove box just fine with an additional case.

I recommend that as an alternative approach, worth checking :)

I would suggest an iPod as well. You get a lot for the price. It can do everything you listed and more.