Brian

Storage Review Site Update

Edit was there, but only for 3 minutes. I think I fixed it to give you the ability to edit whenever.

Also enabled avatars.

hurrah! sr's long been the one and only definitive db of hd performance benchmarks. i look forward to seeing the authorative db pulled out of stagnation & kept up to date.

...But I'm also a mass storage fanatic, running a RAID-6 using a 3ware 9650-SE Controller and 8 x 1TB Hitachi drives. So personally I would be interested in RAID reviews even more than SSDs. Which controllers "really" have the fastest XOR processors? PPC/IOP33x/IOP34x etc. How good is R/W caching working on different controllers? How to they scale in performance in RAID-5/6 when adding more drives? Plus some real world benchmarks, from Desktop User over Workstation up to File-/Webserver usage patterns. Stuff like that.

Also it would be nice to show the actual benefits (both in reliability and performance) of drives, that are explicitly targeted at the RAID market, like the Western Digital RE4, when actually being run in RAID. I never get it, why websites test this drive (and also others like the Hitachi Ultrastar) in Single-Drive configurations, just doesn't make much sense I would say. I'm still waiting for a website to give me a review of Hitachi Ultrastar and WD RE4 compared in RAID-5/6, maybe together with a Barracuda XT and a RE4 Green Power.

I would definitely be excited about that. :)

Then we are two! Got a 9650SE aswell that I have run 10xF1 1TB R6 on, and now replaced them with 6xWD RE4-GP R5. Stay in touch, not much info & tips can be found regarding these kind of setups online.

You guys have big shoes to fill, but I hope that you're up to the task!

In terms of coverage, other than the obvious and things that have already been mentioned by others, I think there is a big gap in coverage when it comes to 1) RAID cards themselves and 2) drive performance in RAID arrays - due to firmware, various drives behave very differently when under RAID conditions, and I'm not talking about RAID edition drives vs normal ones. Some more fringe sites like xbitlabs have a bit of coverage on these issues but imo they are neither thorough nor do they have my complete trust.

100% agree.

Personally I've been trying to scour poor reviews of new raid controllers trying to find a relatively low cost Raid5 solution with traditional SATA; but I'm not even sure of the SSD effect on Raid - and for my uses, I'm not too sure what to do anymore (For me, for example, I need HDD performance and reliability, don't care about size of array (500-756GB for example is plenty for my needs), plus I don't want to wait 30hrs for a HDD to rebuild). The kind of questions I have is how SSD (or Raided SSD?) scales in performance to traditional Raid 5 (on a competant controller) for example, and in turn if SCSI can still get a look-in via performance.

Man, I haven't been here in ages. This is good news indeed. Nice to see SR injected with some new blood, enthusiasm, etc.

Yeah ;) Was quite fun to see the mail in my inbox funnily enough; its been too long since I was last around. We had a very healthy community for a good few years, let it continue :ph34r:

Great to hear this site will actually live on!

I used the reviews to pick the drives from my current system back in 2005 and ive been pleased with the results.

Im also anxious to see the reviews database getting updated. And ditto on the noise and temprature numbers.

suggestion on that:

post what your backlog looks like so we know what to expect.

ex:

- waiting for new 2.5TB drive from seagate

- intel ssd model xyz - review in progress

- WD model A: sitting on the shelf

- WD model R: sitting on the shelf

then users who are considering a WD model A, or the intel ssd can wait for the review.

I, for one, welcome our new SR overlords :D

Would be nice to get reviews again, and also I'd like to ask for an urgent update of the reliability database, there's basically HEAPS of drive models missing at the moment...

Wow, totally missed this thread.

SSD's and RAID... and current reviews on a modern testbed, with reviews done quickly enough to make the review DB/reliability DB viable again for readers.. hopefully?

As to what we're reviewing - we have our first external drive in from Hitachi. There's a thread just for the review in the HDD forum. For a little while at least, I think we'll post a thread for each review in progress so you guys can comment and ask the reviewer for specific issues.

You won't always get what you want, but at least you can ask ;)

I am so happy and excited to see some life again in this website. I just spent quite some time reading ALL of the posts for this thread, and they all pretty much sum up the type of review needed... both from mechanical drives, to solid state, to portable (camera storage, USB flash drives, eSATA, PCI, etc.), to controllers and chipsets.

I do checkout anandtech too, and yeah, they do have a good view on SSDs.

What I would like to see on this website that HASN'T been mentioned yet is more options on the database, and more ways to present it, such as charts of drives w/ biggest areal density, weight of SSD's (just to mention stupid, but possible scenarios), and to revamp the Graphical User Interface... so it can look "cleaner" , such as mint.com's webpage, or apple.

I really do miss storagereview's old glory days. I frequented the site maybe once every 2 months since drive reviews started to go away.

btw, what did happen to Eugene?

Yay, SR's back! I used to visit religiously from the early days of the Quantum Fireballs (remember the 1.0GB Fireball AT and the oddity called the Bigfoot?), but when the reviews dropped off I drifted away. I don't even remember my old username so went with one I'll probably remember a bit better. ;)

I would like to see SR branching out a bit too - after all, it's storagereview, not harddiskreview. It's ambitious, but I'd like the obvious SSDs and spinning disks, along with NAS and even SAN reviews and tech articles. SAN might be pushing it a bit due to cost, but some low to mid-range NAS articles would hopefully be feasible.

What doesn't seem to be covered much on other sites is what happens when things break. Yes, review NASbox model X, but make a part of that review how you go about replacing failed disks. Does it work? Do you lose data? How long does it take, and is your data available and usable during the rebuild? Do you need identical disks? Can you upgrade your NAS box by progressive replacement of the drives? Almost every review is based on some guy receiving a new toy and setting it up, then running a few copy tests. Very simplistic, and not even close to covering what it's like to live with it for any period of time.

Brett - welcome back.

A lot of you are pointing out stuff that's great, but in some ways difficult to engineer from a content perspective, like upgrades to old boxes, repairs, etc. What we really think would be interesting there is user-generated content about how you solved the problem and so on.

We did a lot of user reviews at NotebookReview.com and the idea worked out really well. If you're interested in such a thing, please contact me. We even pay a little for these pieces ;)

I'm glad to see SR is on the way back! I used to find it a great resource, but as others have said, the lack of new content made it site I visited less and less.

I'm probably a stick in the mud for suggesting it, but I really hope the editorial staff doesn't spend too much time reviewing one or two disk SATA NAS devices. Tom's seemed to be endlessly fascinated with them last year, but they all have basically the same featureset and performance. Spend more time reviewing units that do something that no other do, or have the best performance. In short, review leading-edge equipment and don't spend a lot of time on the also-rans.

We're somewhat limited by what we can get. If we can get it in for review, we'll buy some of the stuff to compensate. We'll be starting with getting our hands on what's been announced in the last month or two, then expand from there.

Heh - that's the first logo comment we've had I think. If you like the classic appeal, we'll leave it alone...for now :)

Great to see the site back, especially the reliability database!

Is there anything that can be done with this forum software? The display (I'm using Firefox 2) is a mess. The navigation strip (right now "Storage Forums > General > Site Suggestions & Help > Storage Review Site Update" has white space below it to the footer of the page, with the text section (headed "Replying to Storage Review Site Update") totally indented from that, and a single little box with my name, "Sign Out" and "Help" indented further past that. It would take about a 2000 pixel wide screen not to have to horizontal scroll!

Also, DST doesn't do anything. As it's the middle of summer here, setting DST should work even if the board software doesn't have the exact start/end dates right.

Edited by Kremmen

I'd kindly ask that you update your browser to the most recent version ;)

This is not the final design though, it's an interim step. We had to update the forums, there's a thread on this here if you want to discuss more.

SR members -

I'd like to update you all on an important change at StorageReview.com. After a long run, the site has transitioned to a new ownership team.

The plan is to restore SR to its former leadership position in the storage space. To that end, we already have gear en route from Hitachi for review, and plan on getting much more post-CES. ...

Sounds good. Power to you!

And, for me, I am still in the spinning-disk hardware realm (both IDE/PATA and SATA). Shocking, I know, but a fact of life when working with older PCs. So with the rush of some to SSD, remember there is still a huge user base on disks (and disk replacement).

I also work about 50/50 PC Windows and Macs, So please be sure to include the wide perspective on dual platform. And even keep in mind the users (incl ME! ;) ) who have FireWire drives as well as the usual USB. Typically, I try to get multi-connection 'combo' drives (USB/FW400/FW800).

Thank you.

Budget Storage Samsung SpinPoint P120 Lowest Price: $90.00

250-gigabyte hard disks have fallen well below $100. Our choice is the least expensive of the lot, Samsung's SpinPoint P120. Though not a performance leader in most areas, the drive nonetheless combines competent productivity performance with admirably low noise levels.

While it still runs a bit over $100, a nod must also go to Samsung's larger SpinPoint T166. The 500 gigabyte flagship combines leading performance with the quietest operation one can ask for in a 3.5" drive and comes highly recommended.

This one seriously needs an update! :D

What? 250GB drives are all the rage!?!

We are going to re-do that leaderboard...still thinking of the best approach. Plus, we need to get more drive reviews under our belt. But yeah, that's on the list ;)