Brian

Storage Review Site Update

79 posts in this topic

SR members -

I'd like to update you all on an important change at StorageReview.com. After a long run, the site has transitioned to a new ownership team.

The plan is to restore SR to its former leadership position in the storage space. To that end, we already have gear en route from Hitachi for review, and plan on getting much more post-CES. It will take several weeks, but we'll be working to get the site cleaned up and better than ever.

In case you're wondering about me, I used to be part owner the Technology Guide network which included NotebookReview.com Brighthand.com and others. So I have a good foundation in the industry and look forward to bringing my experience to this community.

You'll also notice several new mods and authors. Many have been with me for a long time, please welcome them to SR.

Of course, we want to improve the site and forums, please voice your opinions so we can give you everything you want from the site.

Brian

I'm pleased.

This site used to be the one I came to first for any storage related discussion or research. I had another account here before this one and have been around since the early SCSI days. It had a wide range of expert opinion and testing.

In the last couple years I think I've been here a handful of times. Testing has been limited and the user base has shrunk. Discussions were much less interesting and technical knowledge plummeted.

I hope I can once again tell anyone looking for advice and data on storage performance "just go to www.storagerview.com" again - best of luck.

Well, it only works with you guys.

We'll be spending a lot of time on SSD, portable storage and the like. There are a few other threads in the site suggestions forum about testing and other forums that you want set up, so please weigh in there too.

In the immediate future we have two drives coming in from Hitachi for review. Charles will be reviewing them over the next 2-3 weeks. With many more announcements at CES, we'll be ramping up the review engine hard in the next month or two.

And if you decide you have the inclination to write, we're going to be looking for guest posts, how to guides and the like.

I hope I can once again tell anyone looking for advice and data on storage performance "just go to www.storagerview.com" again - best of luck.

Well, that person will get a "can't find page" error. Linking to www.storagereview.com has a better chance to be useful.

Glad to see that something will be moving here.

Well, that person will get a "can't find page" error. Linking to www.storagereview.com has a better chance to be useful.

Hah, I'll add buying www.storagerview.com to the list ;)

Nice to see that SR is going to make a comeback! I'll be building a new machine this summer (+/- a bit) and look forward to reading about various storage options here before making purchases.

Good luck rebuilding the site!

Glad to see this site coming back, thanks for the heads up email.

I may not speak for everyone, but my interests in storage have changed a lot in the past 4-5 years, with performance being not so important, and reliability becoming my major focus. I still look forward to seeing some performance benchmarks, but perhaps you could look into making the reliability database much more prominent and useful.

Yah I noted that typo after I posted it, lol. Edit ability would be nice as well, now that I think about it.

;)

Welcome back! We have done a bit of coverage of SSD technology fundamentals on LostCircuits but Iam glad to see SR back up and running. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help jumpstart this site again.

GREAT NEWS. It's been a while since I trusted a HDD review! This website WAS THE HDD website for me. Totally unbiased, perfect reviews from people who knew what they're talking about.

One suggestion is a quick guide for newbies, on how to choose the right Storage for their needs amongst HDD, SSD, 2.5, 3.5, etc...

Also, taking some notes from Anandtech, comparing SSD drives new vs. full with many deleted files (which affects performance). The power, heat, noise measurements are also just as important if not more than before.

Cheers!!!

You guys have big shoes to fill, but I hope that you're up to the task!

In terms of coverage, other than the obvious and things that have already been mentioned by others, I think there is a big gap in coverage when it comes to 1) RAID cards themselves and 2) drive performance in RAID arrays - due to firmware, various drives behave very differently when under RAID conditions, and I'm not talking about RAID edition drives vs normal ones. Some more fringe sites like xbitlabs have a bit of coverage on these issues but imo they are neither thorough nor do they have my complete trust.

First, Congratulations!

Will you be continuing with and or maintaining the Performance Database, eg using similar/same benchmarks or will you be introducing a new epoch? It has always been useful to me to be able to compare drives for historical purposes, like the enterprise rip and replace every three to five years. So having an old dataset comes in useful from time to time.

One thing that has always set StorageReview apart were the SCSI and SAS enterprise type drive benchmarks. I'd really hope to see that continue. I don't expect to see any fibre channel benchmarks, but heck if you have a vendor that wants to bring that to the table, that would be cool too.

Since I'm wishing anyways, I'll second Fedor's request. I would love to see some solid coverage here. OEM branded cards like the PERC6 or P410 would be useful too. The whole ZFS versus hardware raid would be an interesting test, the number of spindles to really put that through it's paces could be prohibitive.

I'm mostly a lurker so take it fwiw.

Again, Congrats.

Thanks,

Doug

Thx guys for continue this site!!!!

It "was" the best site about storeages!! Now it's all distributed over the net and google is my mum ;)

Thanks for concentrate the knowledge!!!

What can the users do for helping you? Is there another way of help beside posting a lot of words in forums ;)

Jockel

Excellent news. I've thought in recent times that it wasnt all it could be here, glad to see its going to have a revamp :)

Greetings!

It would be good to see the site's comeback. I used to visit it quite often. Storage is my passion and I wish I could help with revitalizing its past popularity. Mainly circle @2CPU helping people having issues with their storages based on Areca controllers, but would be happy to participate in discussions, review writings and all that here, too.

Happy New Year everyone! Let's make it the most exciting year ever! :)

Woot woot... if this site starts growing again I can't wait. My last visit to this site was when an old samsung drive was failing. The thought of a MODERN hard drive reliability list is exquisite.

this is truly great news! Hey, Is Big Buck Hunter still around? Man, that guy knew some stuff about storage, WOW! Sure would be nice if he would come along for the re-launch! I will never forget his analysis of a Microsoft Job Interview. That was some interesting stuff.

Long live Storage Review. SSD's are changing the world and there are still idiots out there that do not believe that because they think, "they are too expensive! Heck, how much did that first 5 MEGABYTE hard drive cost? yeah, see what I mean :)

For some of the best SSD info/discussion on the web, check out this thread at notebookreview:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...136#post5564136

Glad to hear. I've been a reader since 1998. (And during my first stint working for Intel in '99-'00, when I was working in the Enterprise Server Group, we used SR's reviews religiously when picking our our drives.)

I was going to give this site until Jan 27th before I gave up for good and deleted it from my bookmarks. (I basically gave up on the forums a couple years ago, other than the very occasional post.) Why Jan 27th? Because at that point, the 'news' posting frequency would be exactly one per year. (i.e. only one post in the prior 365 days.) Obviously, the review rate had dropped below that, even.

Hopefully this site will return to its former prominence. Good luck!

Good luck.

I really enjoy and appreciate this site.

Many of the posters on this board have very good expertise on storage.

It gives me great ideas that I use at my work instead of listening to Sun

and their techno babbel.:)

BTW.. Sun is funny. Buy storage for 200K dollar and get a free Sun jacket.

Great news!

I have been waiting for this site to go active again for ages.

Please, keep doing the technical 'heavy lifting' about storage technologies the other tech sites can't or won't do in their reviews.

Great news!

I have been waiting for this site to go active again for ages.

Please, keep doing the technical 'heavy lifting' about storage technologies the other tech sites can't or won't do in their reviews.

I am glad to hear that SR may be back alive soon enough. I'd be nice to see similar quality HDD reviews as SR used to have. Nowadays most sites only do "windows boot" and "HDBench/HDTach" reviews, which seem rather dull. I'll check back in a month. Best of luck