Sign in to follow this  
dillusiv

IBM GXP 120 3.5 months later... some strange noise

My 120gxp 80gb runs 24/7 in a tower, well venelated, almost free from dust, has a 300watt Power supply from antec...(dunno if its a good one)... suddenly last night when I came home I noticed a high pitch spinning noise emanatting, I thought it was my trusty Segate Cheeta but nope, it was my IBM 120GXP.... well for now I'll keep it running and see if it will die.... damn its noisy

My 120gxp 80gb runs 24/7 in a tower, well venelated, almost free from dust, has a 300watt Power supply from antec...(dunno if its a good one)... suddenly last night when I came home I noticed a high pitch spinning noise emanatting, I thought it was my trusty Segate Cheeta but nope, it was my IBM 120GXP.... well for now I'll keep it running and see if it will die.... damn its noisy

IBM only recommends 333 power on hours per month for the Deathstar 120GXP.

Antec power supplies are good :)

Sounds like bearing whine. Take it out of the case and bash it around a bit (powered down, obviously), then try it again.

Even if this doesn't work, you get the satisfaction of beating up IBM.

I'm not sure whether or not it's grounds for return if the noise persists. Let us know what happens.

You thought a Seagate Cheetah was faulty?

Hands up anyone here that's had a Cheetah die? No? No, I didn't think so.

Sell the IBM on Ebay, bo buy a WD :)

I had 2 75GXP's I managed to get 1 returned and got back the 120GXP, the other one, IBM refused to take back since it was OEM... I sine then learned that anything is better than IBM... I got me one of those 120 GB WD JB and it's humming along quite well... my Seagate runs like a rock. That thing is bad-as*, I love it.

So far i had around 20 IBMs with no failure ever. Recently ordered a 80B 120GXP and it started making some weird clicking noises. i've heard clicking noises from WD and Maxtors before they died, but this sounded different. Anyways i RMAed it from newegg (was RMAing a moboa anyways) as i didn't want to chance it. My sisters 60GXP seems to be making the same funny noise, but it's a lot more intermitent. I wonder how long it has to live. Well if your guys 120GXP dies, make sure to post it. So far 1 IBM return with no real deaths yet, i guess i'm pretty lucky! I have a X15-36LP too and thought it was that too! I was like nooooooooo! But it turned out to be the IBM. I'm planning on getting another drive, but IBM seems to be out of the picture. I don't like WD drives too much cuz they are loud and i hate Maxtor even more. How are Seagate IDE drives? With the big 3 out, what hard drives are left?

Get your data off of it, ad get your money back if you still can. otherwise retire it to a backup drive or something. IBM reliability sucks. :evil: I am speaking from experience here.

My 120gxp 80gb runs 24/7 in a tower, well venelated, almost free from dust, has a 300watt Power supply from antec...(dunno if its a good one)...  suddenly last night when I came home I noticed a high pitch spinning noise emanatting, I thought it was my trusty Segate Cheeta but nope, it was my IBM 120GXP....  well for now I'll keep it running and see if it will die.... damn its noisy

Call IBM Tech Support and tell them about it, and see what they say. (Both times that I had this happen with UltraStars, they told me to RMA it.)

If your 120GXP is anything like my UltraStars were, it'll keep getting louder and louder until it gets unbelievably loud -- and then it'll just suddenly stop spinning. It might spin up again a few minutes later but a minute or two after that it'll just stop and die.