HMTK

Laptops with 4:3 screen

The funny thing, to me anyway, is how old school IBM/Lenovo used to be with the Thinkpad. When I was running NotebookReview - I would have never thought they'd go all mainstream and consumer with these widescreen resolutions. Lenovo really bought that business with the intent on bringing it to the masses. It's a little sad, but what can you do?

I don't think it's too much of that-- much of it is LCD makers. Widescreen panels are cheaper for them to produce (less surface area per panel at the same diagonal)...

http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=349

The T510 and W510 have switched to 16:9 aspect ratio displays. Though 4:3 is not coming back, there are a lot of people (myself included) that did not want to switch aspect ratios yet again on the 14” form factor. Enough other vendors in the industry voiced this same opinion that the industry was able to convince glass manufacturers to continue making 14.1” 16:10 glass – this year at least.

A petition? That's not going to help...what helps is dollars - and consumers are spending dollars on the products they want, and those are not 4:3 screens. The rightness or wrongness isn't part of the debate really, manufacturers follow the cash.