Sign in to follow this  
maantiekiitäjä meep meep

USB drive beats old ThinkPad's internal drive 100-0?!

f_x1n5bdm_d52d3a1.jpg

Does this mean that my system will run faster if I install the operating system (say OpenSuse

or Win7) on this usb drive? Is my internal hard-drive not using it's full potential?

The benchmark program was HD Tach 3.0.4.0 and usb drive was attached to the thinkpad's

usb 1.1 slot. The internal hd's interface is ata.

---

Meep-meep

Does this mean that my system will run faster if I install the operating system (say OpenSuse

or Win7) on this usb drive? Is my internal hard-drive not using it's full potential?

The benchmark program was HD Tach 3.0.4.0 and usb drive was attached to the thinkpad's

usb 1.1 slot. The internal hd's interface is ata.

---

Meep-meep

What it means is that you have an old, slow-as-dirt internal hard drive; and an external USB drive that is faster than the USB interface can handle. You woudl be best served by buying a new internal drive for the ThinkPad.

But, if it's the choice between the internal and the external; the difference is so large that the external will likely win.

I can guarantee that the external drive is connected over USB 2.0, though; not USB 1.1. USB 1.1 would top out at about 1 MB/s, not 30.

That said, if you plug in even one other high-speed USB device, your USB drive will have to share bandwidth (well, most likely; most notebooks have only a single high-speed port internally.)

It means that you have a slow old 4200 rpm internal drive. Replace it with higher RPM ones and you should see difference.

I don't know any MS OS (win7 does?) that runs reliably from a USB drive. It requires lots of manual work and booting from USB is damn slow.

Furthermore, when you attach a USB drive, your laptop is no longer portable. It would be wiser to use a desktop instead of trying to run the OS off of an USB drive.