goodluckrichard

Seagate ST336754LC Firmware needed! PLEASE HELP!

Reason: I need to make the Dell/Seagate ST336754LC and recently purchased HP/Seagate ST336754LC identical so I can safely use them in a RAID array.

In addition, I read previous post that the capacity of the drive will be increased from 35566MB to 35843MB after the firmware upgrade.

Thank you very much in advance!

You need to contact either Dell or HP to get the respective firmware.

IIRC Seagate only hand out firmware to it's larger enterprise customers, but you may want to give Seagate shot as well...

IIRC Seagate only hand out firmware to it's larger enterprise customers, but you may want to give Seagate shot as well...

The problem is I don't have any genuine brand seagate in-warranty ST336754LC, so I cannot request the firmware from seagate.

Based on my research on internet, asking Dell/HP for seagate firmware is also a no go.

I also tried using SeaTools Enterprise to do a firmware upgrade, went to http://support.seagate.com/support/certificate.html, and was told

-------------

Certificate Validation

You have reached Seagate's utility file download page. To proceed, you need your certificate number that was provided by our Technical Support department.

-------------

If someone could kindly throw me a certificate number for downloading the firmware, or the firmware directly, I would greatly appreciated!

The problem is I don't have any genuine brand seagate in-warranty ST336754LC, so I cannot request the firmware from seagate.

Based on my research on internet, asking Dell/HP for seagate firmware is also a no go.

I also tried using SeaTools Enterprise to do a firmware upgrade, went to http://support.seagate.com/support/certificate.html, and was told

-------------

Certificate Validation

You have reached Seagate's utility file download page. To proceed, you need your certificate number that was provided by our Technical Support department.

-------------

If someone could kindly throw me a certificate number for downloading the firmware, or the firmware directly, I would greatly appreciated!

I guess so :(. Anyway thanks for your reply.

Really? What are costomers like us supposed to do? I am in a similar boat, currently supporting 4 Gateway 9515's (yep gateways so cannot even contact them after the MPC debacle of 07-08) from 2006 and had no problems getting hard drives until our most recent failure on Monday. All our drives are firmware 0003 and the new one we ordered is 0005. RAID array will not rebuild because the new drive is 200 megs short.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how to obtain the 0003 firmware so I can flash this puppy and not have a degraded RAID array I would be in your debt a million times over.

Thanks!

Joe

I think your best bet is to call Seagate and be persistent. You'll probably have to go up a few levels to find someone who can help you.

200MB short? That's not a firmware change you need (not necessarily) but rather a drive LBA resize, and those are even harder to get than firmware for end-users..

I'm in a similar situation with a Seagate 15K.6 Cheetah. Seagate says call Dell. Dell says, here is the firmware update but it will only run on our machines with Windows or Red Hat and the with Dell management software installed.

I went through this with a set of 5 Dell Seagate ES.2 drives but was able to trick the seagate utility into flashing the seagate firmware onto the dell branded drives. I didn't realize I would need to keep a poweredge here solely for doing firmware updates.

If only I could find a utility to extract the firmware image from the Dell .FWH file. . .