fossie1973

Third party software RAID 5

Does anyone know of a third party software raid solution which will work on Windows 7?

I have been using the software RAID 5 setup of Server 2003, and I am now making the switch to Windows 7. Unfortunately RAID 5 is not supported by Win 7, so I am looking for a third party solution.

I hope you can help and give me some pointers on where to look.

Cheers

software RAID 5

RAID 5 suffers a terrible write penalty.

Minimizing this problem requires a write back cache backed by a battery, how do you do that in software raid ? Logging would require a specific local raid 1/10 storage ? Non logging means the software raid 5 is not reliable.

What about staying in RAID 1/10 instead of trying to loose time and money on a raid 5/6 architecture ?

Get a cheap controller card that supports RAID 5 if performance isn't all that important. Get an expensive card with cache is performance is important. And some sort of battery - on the controller or a complete UPS - if you value the integrity of your data when power goes out.

I'm mostly using the raid for storage only, so I'm not too concerned with write penalties or the risk of integrity loss when writing during a powerloss. Also, the last time I experienced a powerloss was in 1996, so I can live with that risk.

Unfortunately, I cannot add a raid card as I have no free expansion slots. So for me, a software solution is probably the way to go. I'm having a hard time digging up a decent alternative, though.

Unfortunately, I cannot add a raid card as I have no free expansion slots. So for me, a software solution is probably the way to go.

May be you can adapt the below example (I did not try it) adding Microsoft RAID-5 server feature to XP instead of looking for a 3rd party software raid solution

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp...for-windows-xp/

Can't do it on Vista, can't do it on Windows 7. Not as far as I know anyway.

There are very few third-party LDMs (logical disk managers/software RAID platforms) out there for Windows, and all that I know of are expensive.

Your solutions are really:

1) Free up some expansion slots

2) Use RAID-1

3) Use onboard RAID if any

4) Use an external NAS box or a second PC with RAID-5

5) Switch to *nix (Linux, Solaris, BSD, all free, all have RAID-5 ability)

6) Run *nix in a virtual machine

I actually took option 6 for a few months before switching to 4. There simply isn't a lot you can do (for free) under native Windows.

Unfortunately, I cannot add a raid card as I have no free expansion slots. So for me, a software solution is probably the way to go.

May be you can adapt the below example (I did not try it) adding Microsoft RAID-5 server feature to XP instead of looking for a 3rd party software raid solution

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp...for-windows-xp/

I tried it just to see if it works. It's fine for losing data and little else.

fossie, can't you get rid of one of your add-in cards? A RAID 5 controller really is your best option. I wouldn't even try Windows Server RAID 5 TBH.

The RAIDCore software stack was available as a 3rd party software RAID solution for Windows, and got a glowing review on Tom's Hardware once. I don't know if that product still exists, the RAIDcore ownership has been sold and resold many times.