Cavicchi

Bootmgr is missing

I tried to install Windows 7 on another SSD, leaving the working one disabled, and get bootmgr is missing and can't do anything. I have the drive as primary and even had just that blank drive installed. I tried two different hard drives, SSD and mechanical, same problem.

With the working SSD loaded with Windows 7, I can't boot from CD/DVD it goes straight to desktop with no error message. The DVD burner is working so I don't know what is going on. I had the CD as first in boot order but still goes straight to desktop.

Anyone have a clue what is going on here? I tried another BIOS update but still same problem.

I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do?

If you entirely remove the other (working) SSD, does Windows 7 install ok? What does "disabled" mean...?

What hardware are you working with exactly? Sure your DVD drive or Windows 7 DVD isn't bad? (does it even get to Windows 7 setup?)

Your second paragraph sounds like an entirely different problem?

I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do?

If you entirely remove the other (working) SSD, does Windows 7 install ok? What does "disabled" mean...?

What hardware are you working with exactly? Sure your DVD drive or Windows 7 DVD isn't bad? (does it even get to Windows 7 setup?)

Your second paragraph sounds like an entirely different problem?

Two different problems:

1. With Windows 7 on SSD #1 I can't boot from DVD. I set CD as first boot and it goes straight to desktop.

2. I was trying to install Windows 7 on a SSD #2 with SSD #1 not connected and got the bootmgr is missing error--never got to DVD.

I formatted SSD #2 and forgot where but I saw it was bootable No so I changed it to bootable Yes--this I believe was in Windows. I mention that because it may have screwed something up. I used Boot Menu (F12) to run Windows 7 and Start Repair but it didn't find any Startup problem. I tried another hdd to install Windows 7 but that also got the bootmgr is missing.

I can get to Windows 7 Install screen by using Boot Menu (F12) but I don't want to install it when there is a problem getting that missing bootmgr message.

Edited by Cavicchi

how many harddrives were connected when you did the install.on some motherboards with more than one harddrive Vista and 7 will put the boot manager on a non boot drive.when you boot the system windows cannot find the manager.the solution is to disconnect all harddrives but the install drive.after install reconnect.This may or may not be your issue.

how many harddrives were connected when you did the install.on some motherboards with more than one harddrive Vista and 7 will put the boot manager on a non boot drive.when you boot the system windows cannot find the manager.the solution is to disconnect all harddrives but the install drive.after install reconnect.This may or may not be your issue.

I got the error using one SSD to install Windows 7. I bypassed the error message using F12 to boot from DVD burner--one SSD installed--and installed Windows 7 on it. The error message no longer appears, but I can't boot from Windows 7 or Vista disk--goes straight to desktop. I now have 3 SSD installed without any problems, just that boot from CD thing. So, while I have Windows 7 installed on two SSD, I will erase one tomorrow.

I don't know why I got that bootmgr is missing when having just the blank SSD for Windows 7, but that issue is over now.