Sign in to follow this  
Cavicchi

Booting from USB Flash Drive

I have the Patriot Xporter XT USB Flash Drive and Windows 7 64-bit. Do I need to copy boot files to this drive to make it a bootable drive? What I mean is when updating the BIOS, do I need boot files or just the BIOS files when BIOS is configured to boot from Flash Drive? I guess it comes down to whether this Flash Drive is already a bootable device or it needs boot files?

Here is a link to the Flash Drive

I use HP's Disk Format Tool to format USB drives.

Although your MB's BIOS probably has a flash utility built-in and hence can read directly from USB and hence does not need the USB drive to be bootable.

I use HP's Disk Format Tool to format USB drives.

Although your MB's BIOS probably has a flash utility built-in and hence can read directly from USB and hence does not need the USB drive to be bootable.

I have the Gigabyte EX38-DS4 MB that has a Q-Flash utility built in and that is what I would use to update BIOS. According to the manual, Q-flash updates the BIOS without going into DOS, so it appears you are correct that I don't need boot files on the USB flash drive.

Oh, I also have HP's USB Disk Format Tool.

So long floppy, and hello USB flash drive. :D

Edited by Cavicchi

Been flashing Asus boards with flash drive for awhile now and it works great.Alt F2 and the job is mostly done.One note I would use the USB ports hardwired to the board.Have had some case ports that would not work for this purpose.

Been flashing Asus boards with flash drive for awhile now and it works great.Alt F2 and the job is mostly done.One note I would use the USB ports hardwired to the board.Have had some case ports that would not work for this purpose.

I used the front USB port and worked perfectly updating my BIOS.

I used the front USB port and worked perfectly updating my BIOS.

Some front USB ports have cheap cables and are too long so the +5v can drop causing problems for some 2.5" Hard Drives. However most usb flash drives can tolerate this drop