Sign in to follow this  
wasserkool

How do I optimize my Cheetah 15K.5 for games that requires good seque

The main drive in my system is a trusty Seagate 15K.5 partitioned into C drive (100GB) for Windows 7 and 200GB for applications. All the games are installed in the second partition which is defragged often. The hard drive is attached to a LSI megaraid 8344ELP SAS Controller. There is a game that I play (armed assault 2) which requires loading of very large textures on the fly in order for the game to run smoothly. Several other people resorted to SSD drives to make the game smoother.

The game still stutters using my drive but I think it should not be that bad but rather there is something wrong with my settings. For example using Passmark Performance test, I only get about 29MB/sec for sequential read speed which is way lower than the max of this drive. Can someone please help me to optimize this drive's performance?

Have you read the FAQ here on SCSI drives?

1. What is the BIOS reporting as the transfer speed during startup?

2. What applications have you used to report the STR? (What does HDTach report)?

3. Have you double checked your cabling? (I assume you are using SAS and not a SCSI drive with a convertor).

4. What slot is the controller connected to on the mainboard? (What mainboard are you using).

Seagate 15K.5 partitioned into C drive (100GB) for Windows 7 and 200GB for applications.

Looking for performance, you should have only 1 partition located at the outer drive zone where sequential transfers are the fastest.

The point is that 2 partitions ensure you to degrade your seek time because the rw head has to go between the 2 zones !

The main drive in my system is a trusty Seagate 15K.5 partitioned into C drive (100GB) for Windows 7 and 200GB for applications. All the games are installed in the second partition which is defragged often. The hard drive is attached to a LSI megaraid 8344ELP SAS Controller. There is a game that I play (armed assault 2) which requires loading of very large textures on the fly in order for the game to run smoothly. Several other people resorted to SSD drives to make the game smoother.

The game still stutters using my drive but I think it should not be that bad but rather there is something wrong with my settings. For example using Passmark Performance test, I only get about 29MB/sec for sequential read speed which is way lower than the max of this drive. Can someone please help me to optimize this drive's performance?

29MB/s is certainly too low, there must be something wrong with your setup. Please be aware, though, that ArmA 2 does not need sequential performance, but random read performance and high IOPS.