Sign in to follow this  
Cavicchi

Switching to Windows7

USB key, USB drive, USB stick... same thing as far as the Windows install routine is concerned. Either a USB hard drive or a USB flash drive will do. But if you don't have one, just use the motherboard CD, as detailed above. Or buy a USB stick - the small ones are treated as freebies nowadays, or you can buy a 256 MB one for $3.30, or a more useful 2 GB one for $6.75. SR comparison site.

There's not much gain for typical single user loads when using NCQ. The benchmark above lists about 5 - 10%, when benching the drive alone; overall system performance improvement will be somewhat less. Still, you might as well have it if there are no downsides to enabling AHCI. If AHCI causes problems, then it's not a huge loss to disable it.

How about you start off by enabling AHCI. If you can't get Windows to install to it after half an hour (or whatever) of trying (try without extra drivers, then with the motherboard CD, then with a floppy if you want to, borrow or buy a USB drive etc.), give up and disable it.

USB key, USB drive, USB stick... same thing as far as the Windows install routine is concerned. Either a USB hard drive or a USB flash drive will do. But if you don't have one, just use the motherboard CD, as detailed above. Or buy a USB stick - the small ones are treated as freebies nowadays, or you can buy a 256 MB one for $3.30, or a more useful 2 GB one for $6.75. SR comparison site.

There's not much gain for typical single user loads when using NCQ. The benchmark above lists about 5 - 10%, when benching the drive alone; overall system performance improvement will be somewhat less. Still, you might as well have it if there are no downsides to enabling AHCI. If AHCI causes problems, then it's not a huge loss to disable it.

How about you start off by enabling AHCI. If you can't get Windows to install to it after half an hour (or whatever) of trying (try without extra drivers, then with the motherboard CD, then with a floppy if you want to, borrow or buy a USB drive etc.), give up and disable it.

I have AHCI enabled, but now considering RAID 0 for Windows 7--I started a new thread for that one.

Yes, I meant a USB Flash Drive (about a million times better than the old floppy method). If your drive is big enough, you can actually install Windows from the USB flash drive, which is much faster than using a DVD.

I don't think loading a driver for AHCI/RAID from a floppy would take much time at all. Since I have a floppy, I am inclined to do that when installing Windows 7.