Sign in to follow this  
Steve Snyder

RE2 --> RE4-GP performance gain?

Hello.

I've been very happy with the stability of my 4xRE2 disks in a (Linux software) RAID10 configuration. The performance of the array, though, is not so great. Or at least it has come to seem that way after 20 months of use.

I'm wondering what kind of performance improvements I would see by replacing the RE2 disks with the newer RE4-GP. (I don't really care about the energy efficiency, but there seems to be no non-GP drive of this generation.)

Can anyone point to a comparison of the RE2 vs the RE4-GP? All I can find is RE3-GP vs. RE4-GP.

Thanks.

Hello.

I've been very happy with the stability of my 4xRE2 disks in a (Linux software) RAID10 configuration. The performance of the array, though, is not so great. Or at least it has come to seem that way after 20 months of use.

I'm wondering what kind of performance improvements I would see by replacing the RE2 disks with the newer RE4-GP. (I don't really care about the energy efficiency, but there seems to be no non-GP drive of this generation.)

Can anyone point to a comparison of the RE2 vs the RE4-GP? All I can find is RE3-GP vs. RE4-GP.

Thanks.

You can't have found any RE3-GP vs RE4-GP comparisons, since there are no

RE3-GP drives. There have been RE, RE2, RE3, RE2-GP, RE4-GP and the very recently released RE4 drives from Western Digital, but no RE3-GP.

What you probably have found is RE3 vs RE4-GP tests which are useful to you since you can safely assume that the RE3 drives are at least as fast as your RE2 drives and probably quite a bit faster in most tests.

(Tests comparing the RE2 and RE3 drives should also be possible to find.)

Also keep in mind that all the GreenPower drives spin at a lower RPM than normal drives. WD does not want to say exactly what speed they have, but various independent tests on older -GP drives have shown that they all spin at 5400 RPM compared to the 7200 RPM of standard drives.

This means that it is possible that the RE4-GP will actually be slower than the RE2 drives depending on exactly what you use them for, but since the RE4-GP is more advanced in other aspects (cache size, track density, etc.) it will probably be a bit faster in practice.

Also like I said Western DIgital has just announced an RE4 drive at 2TB which

is likely to be faster than either of their older drives.

I have seen no tests of it yet so it is impossible to say yet how much faster.