Sign in to follow this  
teldar

The Fall of StorageReview

I havn't looked on SR for quite some time as the review articles dried up quite a while ago and the leader board hasn't been updated in years.

SR was always my favorite site for storage info. Then the hardware review sites started doing HDD reviews and it seems SR's just kind of faded away. I always thought they did the best reviews and had the most logical conclusions. They also had THE BEST database of scores out there.

It's a sad thing to see a great site like SR go through such hard times.

I havn't looked on SR for quite some time as the review articles dried up quite a while ago and the leader board hasn't been updated in years.

SR was always my favorite site for storage info. Then the hardware review sites started doing HDD reviews and it seems SR's just kind of faded away. I always thought they did the best reviews and had the most logical conclusions. They also had THE BEST database of scores out there.

I agree. Frankly, I'm amazed the hosting account has been maintained with so little recent activity. It's almost like an old science fiction plot – "Where Did Everybody Go?" Sometimes when I, on a whim, take a look at this site, I feel like I'm the only patron left...

Certainly hope the owner(s) is(are) O.K. Thanks for a fabulous site, at least, in days gone by!

I agree. Frankly, I'm amazed the hosting account has been maintained with so little recent activity. It's almost like an old science fiction plot – "Where Did Everybody Go?" Sometimes when I, on a whim, take a look at this site, I feel like I'm the only patron left...

Certainly hope the owner(s) is(are) O.K. Thanks for a fabulous site, at least, in days gone by!

I remember when SR first considered shutting down. Eugene's partner had to move on and couldn't put the effort into it anymore. Many readers of SR, including myself, pleaded with Eugene to continue SR. But considering the pressures he must have been under over the years and responsibility of providing for a family, I can understand why SR has languished. I'm really very sorry to see it in the state it is in now, but I know it requires a huge amount of effort and dedication to run it the way it should be run.

I hope Eugene is doing well. I wish him well in all of his endeavors. And I thank him for the excellent articles that SR has published over the years.

Joo

Frankly, I'm amazed the hosting account has been maintained with so little recent activity.
Hosting is cheap (and only gets cheaper). With the ads being displayed, a site like this should still be cash-positive.

And the message board is still here.

Maybe we can bring back community reviews/benchmarks by posting a standard set of iometer tests. I think among the posters still here we have access to plenty of various storage devices and controllers. I certainly don't hesitate to post results here and I appreciate when others do the same. I think the SR forums are filled with informative posts, they're just scattered around and not consistent.

If there was a standard set of tests and an easy way to upload them to this site in a context that's consistent and easy to compare - the community could provide the numbers. A lot of us here are basically running these benchmarks as part of our jobs or hobbying at home anyways.

I'd do the survey if it wasn't so tedious - if you've used dozens or hundreds of drives, you just need to enter some overall numbers. EG, of 48 SG ES.2 1TB drives I've had 4 fail.

I tried to enter my 2 new Hitachi 640GB. It does not even exist and I can't enter a new number. That is too bad really.

Drives are only entered into the database when reviewed. I assume the 640 GB drives (7K1000B?) haven't been reviewed.

I hope Eugene is doing well. I wish him well in all of his endeavors. And I thank him for the excellent articles that SR has published over the years.

Yup, me too. I see him lurking every now and then. Best wishes, Eugene. And thank you.

Edited by datestardi

I'd do the survey if it wasn't so tedious - if you've used dozens or hundreds of drives, you just need to enter some overall numbers. EG, of 48 SG ES.2 1TB drives I've had 4 fail.

Yes, I can see how it can take some time to enter the data. However, we need data from power users just like you to keep the database relevant. At least enter 12 ES.2 drives including one bad for a representative sample of your drives.

I think SR could get a lot of positive press and web hits if they started doing reviews of SSDs. Then again, Anandtech has done some superb articles on SSDs already, so perhaps the opportunity to be a leader in this field has already been lost, but I think that SR should still try.

It has been years, YEARS since SR lost it's Mojo. Pity. I started posting here in about 1997 or so but the site just died after that loss of the database in 2001.

Edited by Clocker

Yep, it was never the same. Some people left and with no reviews anymore... I fear it's going the way of Ace's which also used to be great in it's day.

Actually tonight is the first time I've logged in since 2004.

SR used to be visited daily, it would always be open in one window on my machine.

It was only by reading an old review on anandtech of SSD's where I came across:

"The real world usage and real world tests disagreed. Storage Review was one of the first sites to popularize real world testing of hard drives nearly a decade ago. It seems that we’d all forgotten the lessons they taught us."

and I realised how much I missed reading the reviews and forums here.

:-(

I haven't been back to SR in at least 6 months, and I was once a moderator...pfffft on me. Digital sharecropping by definition.

I do hope that Eugene is doing well, as well as all the old regulars. I try to stay away from computer hardware sites these days, as it just makes me want to buy more gear, but sometimes you just have to know what to go buy when the need strikes. SR was always the best place to come for opinions and reviews...and friends.

Cheers to all,

Future Shock

There seems to a be a dearth of storage specific forums with a real depth of knowledge. Because of the renewed interest in disk transfer speeds with SSDs, there are some new niche forums talking about RAID performance with SSDs etc. Back in the day, this was the place to come for disk discussions, and I haven't found a total replacement, given the reduction of posts here.

Me: Last Seen: 28th August 2008 - 10:24 AM

Yes this used to be a really relevant site for HDD review and with the SSD's coming out people are reading up quite a bit more than they used to. Anand's and HOCP has filled the gap for me for legit reviews. I am still on the fence that toms has sold out, they used to be the end all be all also but not really so sure for the past five years or so. I hang out on storageforum.net quite a bit though. It is a shame but this site was good while it lasted.

Fortunately Techreport seems to be run by people with some good morals, intelligence and fundamental IT knowledge, their HDD reviews are generally quite in depth and well done.

Too bad SR didn't survive to guide us through the first real technical evolution storage underwent. Maybe just as many of us moved on from hardware we detached from SR too.

I hope one day this site will get resurrected somehow. I miss the good old days. I'm a member since maybe 98.

Thanks God. My hope is real now!

I haven't been on here in a long time either; Eugene was still running the show at the time. And the site looks very different. But this new guy Brian seems to be quite active :) and that is a good sign.

I'd agree with the rest; SR needs to review SSD's. I myself am in hard drive limbo. My current drives still work fine (even though they're old) but I'm not too impressed with the SSD replacements yet...the random write is still horrible by comparison to the other specs. You can't get a well-rounded SSD, just one that shows big numbers in some categories.

So, how do we get manufacturers to send drives in for testing to SR?