Sign in to follow this  
teldar

Highpoint?

I saw just today that Newegg was selling the 4320 for $329 in March. I recently decided I'm probably going to end up with a highpoint card when I get out of school and start building computers again. (when I can afford it, that is)

What's anyone's view on highpoint?

This will be a storage array, not a system array, so I don't care about booting off it or any of the difficult/tricky nonsense that goes along with raid arrays.

Does anyone have a total idea as to why I should stay away from HighPoint for a simple storage array?

IIRC that card actually has a decent hardware processor on it (the Intel IOP348 @ 1.2ghz is quite good and is found on the best from Areca and Adaptec)... I suppose the question is drivers and firmware, I don't know how good those are.

Do yourself a huge favor and stay away from anything HighPoint. I have 8 nice hitachi enterprise drives that were part of a raid 6 array that went kaput. Still waiting to recover the data. Their tech support is aweful as well.

That card has been nothing but trouble for me. I've used raid 5, raid 6, but they all turn into raid-down. I'll never buy highpoint again. Spend a few extra bucks on 3ware, areca, or adaptec. You will regret buying highpoint if you do.

Their tech support for basic things is okay. That and their RMA are both pretty slow though, the one time I've used them recently took... 2 or 3 weeks for a simple BIOS reflash that went bad. Considering shipping was only 1-2 days each way, 3 weeks is absurd.

But yeah, for serious work, I don't touch them-- it's pretty much all 3ware or Adaptec, 'cause sadly Areca's USA support isn't all that either....