Sign in to follow this  
LED ZEPPELIN

80GB still made?

Hello all,

I recently started work at a company and they gave me a brand new dell optiplex computer. It has an Intel Core 2 inside and all but surprising I noticed it only has an 80GB drive. I checked device manager and inside is a WD800JD 80GB 7200rpm drive. I didn't even know Western Digital still made 80GB drives. Newegg.com labels it as a Caviar Blue. This model isn't even on the WD site.

Do HD manuf. make smaller hard drive for OEM business machines?

The short answer, yes you can still get 80GB drives from OEMs.

Just be aware they may actually be short-stroked drives (eg larger drives, with reprogrammed firmware to say they are smaller than what they are)...

The short answer, yes you can still get 80GB drives from OEMs.

Just be aware they may actually be short-stroked drives (eg larger drives, with reprogrammed firmware to say they are smaller than what they are)...

So you're saying it could be a WD Caviar 160gb (still produced) with one of the platters not used or a 160gb platter with half not seen? Interesting....

I still wonder why many business machines only come with 80GB drives. Even though I don't need that much storage (all CAD work is saved on the network server) it still seems weird to 'short-stroke' a drive.

Either way, I say Dell did a great job with the Optiplex 760 (the larger tower). It is near silent.

Edited by LED ZEPPELIN