Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmoothDrRod

Oldest drive still in use

21 posts in this topic

I'll start us off wit ha Western digital caviar 280 drive manufactured July 1993 originally in a 386 Packard Hell XL

In its current home a Comapq 486dx 33mhz it is a slave to a 540MB seagate medalist. The machine saw use as an HTML coder until I quit manually writing code. Now it exists to run all of the moldy oldie PC games I can't live without running on a genuine dos platform of the era :) Drives still good as of Xmas break of 2008. Both saw at least a few years of 24x7 operation

I know someone out there has a running ST-225

386 Packard Hell XL

Shudder... I had one of those - came with a 85MB ST-1102A that lasted almost 10 years longer than the computer. (The drive was still working when I dissected it.)

I ditched all my old drives a long time ago. The oldest I have running is a Seagate 36GB 10K.6 SCSI, (actually 4x of them).

Otherwise my wife's PC has a Seagate 80GB PATA drive, from back when 120GB drives were the largest you could get...

As a side note, my parent's ditched a Amstrad PC3286 (286 @16MHz) with a 40MB Miniscribe drive last Christmas. The drive and PC were still working fine when they ditched it, as I run a drive wipe utility on it so they could ditch it. It was replaced with a Intel Core2Duo @ 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, etc running Vista.

Edited by Chewy509

I have two machines with Seagate 160GB Model: ST3160023A running for over 5 years. Both drives have zero bad sectors. Most reliable and dependable drives I've ever had.

I also have a Packard Hell 100mhz that I use sometimes for fun messing with WIN 98 se on it. I have a WD 6.4gb drive and a WD 10 gb drive in it. I have a 540mb drive around somewhere in my compy pile but they all run well. Now, I do have some SCSI drive that are a few years old that are a trip to hear running.

Here is a Q back to everyone:

What was the worst HD failure you have had? Me--a Maxtor 15gb drive that started to loose it's mind, random BSOD's, drive would not work at all, just spinning, or the dreaded "clicking" of death. Currently I have a WD 160gb drive that is QUIRKY as hell, I mean the thing is out there some days.

Rob

What was the worst HD failure you have had?

On time (at band camp) a HDD died completely (as in stopped dead cold, no warnings, no nothing) mid way through a tape backup! While not that bad, the other 2x tapes in the backup pool had random CRC errors, hence a call to a data recovery company, using the 3 tapes to reconstruct the contents of the HDD.

And another time (at band camp), I had a IC blow on the HDD controller board shooting plastic/metal shards throughout the PC.

And another time at band camp, I shove a flute up .... ;)

Define "in use"...

The oldest in 'active daily use' would likely be the circa 2001 Western Digital 80 GB drive in a FireWire drive cage attached to my server; along with the Maxtor 60 GB drive inside said server.

The oldest in 'occasional, but regular' use would be the original-circa-1988 (Quantum?) in my Macintosh SE; still used once a week or so for reading email in the mornings.

And another time at band camp

Great camp memories

I could read these breakdown stories all day..... must get.. back...... to work.

:D

In my post above, I mentioned that I have two 160GB Seagate ST3160023A drives in separate computers.

One of these drives has 4.2 years (~37,000hrs) on it and the other has about 3.8 years (34,000hrs) on it. Both drives have run flawlessly with zero bad sectors, but I'm wondering if I should retire these drives. I'm wondering if I'm on borrowed time with them. They have both been the best drives I've had, and I'm convinced the 7200.7 models of Seagates were some of the best drives of their times.

Would anyone replace them with the hours they have on them, or simply keep running them? I do have a few 80GB drives with far less hours put on them sitting on my desk.

Edited by LED ZEPPELIN

On my 'old games' system I am running a Seagate ST423451N 23 GB Full Size 5.25" SCSI Drive. The system uses System Commander and will boot XP / PC Dos 7 & Win 3.11 / Win 95 for any older game needs like Orcs and Humans :D . System is a IBM PC 350 P100.

hpim4018.th.jpg

hpim4016.th.jpg

S T 4 2 3 4 5 1 N E L I T E 2 3 SEAGATE

Native| Translation

------+-----+-----+-----

Form 5.25"/FH Cylinders 6884| | |

Capacity form/unform 23200/ MB Heads 28| | |

Seek time / track 13.0/ 1.5 ms Sector/track | | |

Controller SCSI3 SI/ULTRA Precompensation

Cache/Buffer 2048 KB MULTI-SEGMEN Landing Zone

Data transfer rate 11.000 MB/S int Bytes/Sector 512

10.000 MB/S ext SYNC

Recording method PRML 0/4/4 operating | non-operating

-------------+--------------

Supply voltage Temperature *C 5 50 |

Power: sleep W Humidity % |

standby W Altitude km |

idle 22.0 W Shock g |

seek 27.0 W Rotation RPM 5400

read/write W Acoustic dBA

spin-up W ECC Bit

MTBF h 800000

Warranty Month 60

Lift/Lock/Park YES Certificates

Edited by xSTLx

My oldest drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 40GB, no FDB version. It still working very well but it makes a lot of noise...

Edited by thigobr

ST-225 in my 8088-10 clone. Both still run.

130MB ST3144A in a 386-33 - first PC I built from the ground up.

I think I have a 50MB SCSI drive in a machine I built from spare parts.

Personally my oldest drive still in use is a 500GB Seagate 7200.10 from circa-2006.

My dad's got some old stuff banging about though, so ancient I can't even figure out what it is.

For my private use, I have a couple of 9GB Quantum Atlas IV in use in my server. They have been spinning for ten years now.

My oldest still "in use" is the ST41200N (1GB SCSI, full height 5.25") I bought for $1800 in 1990. Its running in my Apple ][gs from '86.

It isn't regular use, a few times a year. Upgraded from an earlier 60MB drive about a decade ago.

WD300 30GB 5400rpm drive from god knows when in my old fileserver, a case of "using what we've got available" during the build process... still works fine tho, thats the kicker.

In my post above, I mentioned that I have two 160GB Seagate ST3160023A drives in separate computers.

One of these drives has 4.2 years (~37,000hrs) on it and the other has about 3.8 years (34,000hrs) on it. Both drives have run flawlessly with zero bad sectors, but I'm wondering if I should retire these drives. I'm wondering if I'm on borrowed time with them. They have both been the best drives I've had, and I'm convinced the 7200.7 models of Seagates were some of the best drives of their times.

Would anyone replace them with the hours they have on them, or simply keep running them? I do have a few 80GB drives with far less hours put on them sitting on my desk.

I don't know how much longer my old Seagate will survive, but unless I'm pressed for room in a case or PATA controllers become too much hassle to fuss with, if it's still functioning I intend to keep it when I build another system several years down the road. I'm curious how long it will last. As with any hard drive, regardless of age, consider what would happen if it were to die tomorrow. Always back up everything you care about.

I have a Seagate Barracuda V, ST3120024A, 8 MiB buffer model, which is still spinning :) Power on hours count is 47621, so quite a lot, with 94 starts/stops. Still no reallocated or pending sectors or any other problems. For 3 years or so it was in a closet system with idle temps of ~50 celsius and load temps of ~58C. It's not in 24/7 use anymore. Anyway, I'm also curious how long it will last before failing.

Oldest working drive i have is a WD 40 GB IDE drive with stepper motor for head movement. Not sure about it's functionality now though, it's a few years since i tested it. :)

As a side note, smartctl seems to show "gigabytes processed" read/write figures for my SCSI drive. It would be nice if IDE/SATA drives had that too. Tells at least something about how much burden they've gone through.

My oldest drive that is still in use has to be Western Digital 1200JB (250GB ATA Drive.) I bought that back in Q4 2003 when I build my old P4 3.2 GHz. I spent a $250 or so for that drive. It is still in use in my old desktop for about once in a week. I do have some older drive. However, those are on shelf collecting dust.

I recently ordered an IDE to SATA converter. I am hoping to hook up 2 other old 250GB harddisk and make a cheap RAID5 out of it all for fun.