Sign in to follow this  
LED ZEPPELIN

Your Favorite Model Drive

In your opinion, which drive model is/was your favorite. Feel free to list multiple (past and present).

My favorite is the Seagate 7200.7 Barracudas....I have a few 160GB 7200.7's that have been running for over 5 years now with no bad sectors....and they're dead silent. Overall, I believe they're an extremely reliable generation of drives...perhaps Seagate's best.

I've always been rather fond of the Raptor range. First consumer oriented drive to be genuinely engineered for speed rather than capacity - and it beat SCSI drives with much faster mechanics, just by having better tuned firmware. You could even say it paved the way for consumer SSDs by proving that there was a market for expensive, small but blazingly fast desktop drives.

Nowadays, SSDs like the Intel X25-M and OCZ Vertex have taken over that banner, and the Raptor is looking like a good value compromise between usable size and speed!

I suppose my vote goes for Barracuda V, ST3120024A. Also a 8 MB buffer model, read speed maxed at 45 MB/s. One of the most silent drives in its day, and the one I got sustained 24/7 use for 3 or 4 years running at temperatures of 48..55 celsius. Still no smart or any other kind of errors/problems. Nowadays I use it as a backup drive.

All time favorite? Seagate 40Meg MFM drive. I think it was a ST-251. That was back in the day when you could run software to check for drive interleaving, and change it to speed things up. That drive lasted forever for me.

Current favorite? X-25M It's nice, fast, cool, and quiet. (but not cheap)