Sign in to follow this  
schaki

Is storagereview dying?

The latest review were posted in april 2008. And the llatest newsUpdate in January 2009.

What's going on? It bodes no well I think.

I think the advertising pays for the hosting costs, but not much more. Certainly not enough to buy samples if they aren't sent, and not enough for Eugene to give up his day job and work full time on content. It's a downward spiral, unfortunately. It's worth keeping the site alive for the sake of the forums, and those reviews that are here are very good... SR has taught me loads over the years, and at least its spirit lives on in the forums.

There may be some flickers of life, however. A couple of SSD entries in the performance database, for example. There may be no published reviews, but I think Eugene might still be testing any kit he does manage to get his hands on.

I asked about this a little while ago, the whole situation annoys me because it's not really stated, if I started sending hdd's to eugene would he bench them and add the results?

Surely the news could be updated more? Is it just a matter of having more editors with the time?

Unfortunately, the industry does not want reliable, reproducible, and meaningful reviews of their storage devices. They simply want to advertise products as "300x faster" and "3gb/sec transfer rates" and have you buy their crap. This is why "consumer reports" is a paid service. All marketing departments do this in almost every industry.

There was a post a while back by Eugene. The forums drive the site now.

F

Unfortunately, the industry does not want reliable, reproducible, and meaningful reviews of their storage devices. They simply want to advertise products as "300x faster" and "3gb/sec transfer rates" and have you buy their crap. This is why "consumer reports" is a paid service. All marketing departments do this in almost every industry.

There was a post a while back by Eugene. The forums drive the site now.

F

I get that but... what is preventing the reviews and news from appearing? is it money or time?

I'd hapily donate a small amount of either to have the site updated more regularly.

Hell the users here are swimming in enough kit to lend it to eugene for reviews if they wanted.

Edited by lec

Any money you send will no doubt help to keep the site alive while advertising revenues are slim. If anyone has got time or equipment to give or lend, I suggest they PM Eugene, and he can give you a straight answer on whether or not he can make practical use of it.

Any money you send will no doubt help to keep the site alive while advertising revenues are slim. If anyone has got time or equipment to give or lend, I suggest they PM Eugene, and he can give you a straight answer on whether or not he can make practical use of it.

I actually have access to several servers for webhosting and would be happy to offer hosting for free just so this site stays up. Although it is old (in terms of content) it is the site I most associate with hard drives. Anyhow I'll message Eugene and see what he says.

L.

I would assume that it's not a "time/money" thing, rather it's "time/money from the site vs. time/money from their day jobs". I'd ping Eugene and see what the straight dope is though, as all I can do is speculate.

F

Nodoby cares about spinning platters anymore. SSDs are what's interesting.

I recommend checking out http://www.storagesearch.com

I honestly can't tell if this site is a spam site or not. The layout looks like it's from the mid-90's, and the text feels like it was put together by a middle schooler. However, there is some actual data and real links there.

It's like someone told Google's CADIE AI to go make a site about SSD. So weird.

Nodoby cares about spinning platters anymore. SSDs are what's interesting.

I recommend checking out http://www.storagesearch.com

I honestly can't tell if this site is a spam site or not. The layout looks like it's from the mid-90's, and the text feels like it was put together by a middle schooler. However, there is some actual data and real links there.

It's like someone told Google's CADIE AI to go make a site about SSD. So weird.

So true - I really thought it was a copy pasta machine and even went so far as to google for snippets from the articles to find the original source but so far all signs point to storagesearch.com as the original source. Why anyone would make their site look that way is beyond me.

Personally, I prefer a simple, clean, text oriented website design where the content is first and foremost (not to imply earlier posters don't). In addition to faster loading pages, it's lighter on bandwidth, which (presumably for SR) costs less to host. I'm not here to initiate a thread on the merits of an SR site redesign --- green on black text, circa 900 baud versus Pogo.com --- to attract new readership but rather to say that I appreciate SR's "just the facts, ma'am" design decision. (am I really that old??)

am I really that old??

Yes, you're an old fart. Probably at least in your 30's. Personally I also dislike websites with too much blingbling. It's nice on some sites but not when you have to read lots of text and stuff. Kill most flash and a website becomes a lot more readable and way faster. Less scrollbars is nice as well. I am 33 which sometimes seems old in IT...

A follow-on from no reviews is no new entries in the reliability database, because it (inexplicably, IMHO -- it should just list everything) only lists drive families which have been reviewed.

am I really that old??

Yes, you're an old fart. Probably at least in your 30's. Personally I also dislike websites with too much blingbling. It's nice on some sites but not when you have to read lots of text and stuff. Kill most flash and a website becomes a lot more readable and way faster. Less scrollbars is nice as well. I am 33 which sometimes seems old in IT...

You're on the money: Young enough for a keen edge; old enough for a luggable show-and-tell -- my father's Osborne I.

Edited by Hemi

I was going to ask the same question. Storage review has had some of the best reviews of hard drives out there bar none. Most of the sites reviewing hard drives have no idea what they are doing. They run drives through a couple of tests like HD Tach and that it it then they have the Odasity to offer an opinion of the performance of the hard drive they are reviewing.

Actually, it is pathetic they call it a "Review".

I wish Eugene would at least post what is happening to this site that I used to come to monthly to learn all about the latest and greatest drives.It has been well over a year since he reviewed any hardware I believe.

i thought i would register to add a comment.

once upon a time, long ago when i was trying to find guides about building systems, i came across this site.. i think it was about 5 years ago.

i found the site to offer a great deal of information and would read it quite often to learn about the newest and greatest etc

couple years passed and now that it was time for a new build, i went in search of this site again.

to my dismay it seemed like the site was not maintained anymore

this is quite saddening to me b/c i think this site was the best review site for hard drives.

i guess all good things must come to an end though