Sign in to follow this  
HMTK

OT Cisco question

I have to purchase a Cisco router for a client. It's an NPO so they can buy it for next to nothing. Basically I can choose between various 870 series (+/- € 50) and 1800 (+/- € 90) series routers. I'm not yet familiar with Cisco products but I'm sure someone here is.

Which one to get and why? Noise is important, the client prefers something that's close to noiseless - no whirring fans are acceptable, only gently blowing ones...

For simplicity sakes, noise, ease of use, etc... I'd avoid a Cisco.

There are things like Mi5, SonicWall, WatchGuard, etc that are much better alternatives.

We sell Cisco. It's to learn as much as anything. And I can't get any of the products you mentioned for € 100 before taxes...

As far as fan noise goes on an 1800 I haven't the foggiest idea, I've used 871 and 877 a bit and never noticed enough noise to matter. ... and that's in my cube. That doesn't say much, as it could be just me saying I've never noticed :~p

The flash memory on the 87x series isn't the greatest, 58MB I think if bought with K9 firmware. The 87x series have an older build of SDM installed and it works, sorta, but I believe the latest builds of SDM require at least 64MB. If updated versions of SDM is a consideration for in the buying decision then that should make it easy.