Sign in to follow this  
gku929

::HELP:: CD-R Drive Suggestions ::HELP::

Hi all,

My cd-r drive just went poop on me (Plexwriter 12/4/32) ... I've tried updating the firmware, but nothing seems to work. Just five minutes ago, Win2k just stopped recognizing the drive as part of the system.

So now I'm in desperate need for a cd-r drive! Please help me choose the best (fastest) there is ... preferrably scsi as my system is all scsi at the moment and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance.

george

Off the top of my head, I don't know if they make SCSI, but most people here seem to think Lite-On drives are very good right now.

I personally have one of their 12x10x32x drives and have never had a problem with it, burns anything the first time, without faults.

Jason

Off the top of my head, I don't know if they make SCSI, but most people here seem to think Lite-On drives are very good right now.

I personally have one of their 12x10x32x drives and have never had a problem with it, burns anything the first time, without faults.

Jason

what about the asus 32x drives? read on tomshardware that it does overburnining ?

Don't know about that, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything Tom's Hardware says these days.

As for overburning, the newer Lite-On drives will burn 99 minute CDs.

Jason

Ya, I've used a lot of LG, Lite-on and Samsung drives. Althought Ive heard complaints that the samsung drives wont copy some copywriten drives....

Don't know about that, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything Tom's Hardware says these days.

As for overburning, the newer Lite-On drives will burn 99 minute CDs.

Jason

just looked at the lite-on website. but the company website doesn't categorize their products by date, so i don't know which one is newer... need help on that.

while looking at their website, i've noticed that they only have one scsi-III cd-r, yet w/o all the "burn-proof" technology that their ide drives have, what's with that ?

Either their 32x or 40x burner is the newest...

SCSI is no longer getting all the new stuff when it comes to CD drives. Even Plextor is making IDE drives now. :)

Jason

The nicest SCSI CD-Rs I'm aware of are Yamahas. Then maybe Sanyo. Both are very good.

Instead of dealing with the price premium for lower-speed parts, I bought a couple of Acard SCSI-to-IDE bridges ($50 each), and an IDE CD-RW (Lite-ON 32x). Works great so far. Mine is even in an external UW SCSI enclosure.

if u want scsi get a Yamaha CRW-3200 with a scsi converter.

It's worth keeping in mind that Yamaha have reduced the price of this drive - a new ones on the way!

If u are looking for the best audio burner GO YAMAHA.

if u want scsi get a Yamaha CRW-3200 with a scsi converter.

It's worth keeping in mind that Yamaha have reduced the price of this drive - a new ones on the way!

If u are looking for the best audio burner GO YAMAHA.

So what's with the SCSI converter ? I really don't know much about it.

Yamaha drives have their own SCSI converter thing;

I don't think its a true IDE to SCSI adapter.. rather something custom made for Yamaha drives to enable them to switch modes and attach to a SCSI interface instead of IDE. In an old thread here:

http://forums.storagereview.com/viewtopic....=1722&view=next

someone who got one of those Yamahas indicated that the drive actually showed up as a different drive while attached to the Yamaha SCSI converter.

Full IDE to SCSI converters do exist however, which is what Mercutio is using and referring to. However CD-RWs are very finicky and the standards are kind of a mess for their interface layers.. (anyone ever dealt with ASPI layer nightmares? hehe ;) Its not recommended to use them with IDE-SCSI converters..

All I can say in response to Megadeath is that mine has worked since the moment I installed it on the Win2000 machine where I mostly use it. The only problem I had was that the copy of Nero included with my CD burner didn't recognize my SCSI-ized drive. That was an easy fix. I installed the full version of Nero. ;)

Hehe maybe CDRW makers are finally cleaning up their act a bit.. as well as whoever is in charge of those dammed ASPI layer standards.

Wonder how a prog like CDRwin would respond to a drive on an interface its not expecting heh. ;)

The nicest SCSI CD-Rs I'm aware of are Yamahas. Then maybe Sanyo. Both are very good.

Instead of dealing with the price premium for lower-speed parts, I bought a couple of Acard SCSI-to-IDE bridges ($50 each), and an IDE CD-RW (Lite-ON 32x). Works great so far. Mine is even in an external UW SCSI enclosure.

so what is the drive's performance when compared to scsi drives ?