alpha754293

why is installing Windows XP via PXE so unnecessarily complicated?

Trying to install Windows XP Pro to a system that doesn't have an optical drive via PXE.

Reading some of the guides -- it seems to be quite unnecessarily complicated.

Is there a simplier way, especially if I have a Solaris server running?

(I see how they had the steps about creating the tftp, dhcp, etc., is there some way for me to use Solaris for that stuff?)

If you just want the Sun box to host the boot images, then you shouldn't have a problem setting up a DHCP server, DNS server and TFTP server following the guidelines. But IIRC you still need a Win box somewhere to help the installer along, but if you can get CIFS service settings just right (on the Sun Box), I guess you could use the Sun box for the installer files as well.

PS. It's been a long time since I've done deployment via PXE, so my knowledge is rusty, and even then we used Win boxes for the boot image and installer file hosting.

PS. It's been a long time since I've done deployment via PXE, so my knowledge is rusty, and even then we used Win boxes for the boot image and installer file hosting.

OT question. Is a PXE boot to DOS/Ghost (or any other imager) an option?

F

I see a lot of them using Sysangel and I think some kind of like mini-Linux to jumpstart the PXE server and then using net use to map the share.

Is there a simplier way then that, because I was hoping for something along the lines of PXE installing Solaris (based on their guide) which seems to be fairly simple and painless (and even I've been able to use it a few times)?

Or do I really need to just follow those guides step-by-step and put up with the additional complexities?

If you are not using WDS or RIS, or some other commercial deployment tool, yet it's tricky and full of steps and prerequisites.

Did you expect a GUI and wizard to walk you through the steps? ;)

If you can PXE boot to any OS, whether it's WinPE or even DOS, than ghost.exe or ghost32.exe is a valid option.

With some work you can script the driver injection, sysprep, etc...

If you are not using WDS or RIS, or some other commercial deployment tool, yet it's tricky and full of steps and prerequisites.

Did you expect a GUI and wizard to walk you through the steps? ;)

If you can PXE boot to any OS, whether it's WinPE or even DOS, than ghost.exe or ghost32.exe is a valid option.

With some work you can script the driver injection, sysprep, etc...

No, but I didn't think that it would have been that complicated because trying to do it for Windows makes installing Solaris via PXE seem like cake.

Windows server 2003 RIS or the newer replacement Windows Deployment service is very slick and stupid simple to setup. You can blast out new machine images in no time. Coming from a background of selling competing products to Microsoft's SMS/SCCM, I know how good and simple RIS/WDS is.

Even Apple people can figure it out :P

Good luck in trying to deploy Windows from a non-windows platform. You've made life quite hard for your self.

Windows server 2003 RIS or the newer replacement Windows Deployment service is very slick and stupid simple to setup. You can blast out new machine images in no time. Coming from a background of selling competing products to Microsoft's SMS/SCCM, I know how good and simple RIS/WDS is.

Even Apple people can figure it out :P

Good luck in trying to deploy Windows from a non-windows platform. You've made life quite hard for your self.

Well...I thought/figured that since like Solaris is more "built" for this kind of stuff (DHCP, tftp, PXE booting other systems, etc.) that PXE booting the install image wouldn't be that difficult.

Apparently, I am asking for more than I bargained for I guess. *shrug*