Hi

i need to buy a new hard disk

i need a reliable, trustworthy, trusty drive

maybe 320gb or more

what should i buy ? and prize?

i would appreciate all feedbacks and advises about brand and model

thanks

have a nice day

You can try Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Samsung, Iomega, Trekstor.

Price must be $60. Or $300.

Jesus!

You can try Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Samsung, Iomega, Trekstor.

Jesus!

thanks you so much

i mean price for a 320GB , internal hard disk

so western digital are more trusty then seagate , is it the best choice?

i running xp

sorry i'm a novice

Edited by drugo

Out of the 100's of drives I see a year, there hasn't been any difference in reliability across the board from the various manufacturers. (That includes Samsung, Seagate, WDC, Hitachi, etc in sizes ranging from 80GB to 500GB).

Lately, it seems that the shipping method and packaging has more bearing on a drive failure than any brand/model/size from my experience.

AKA, get the one with the best warranty and return procedure, best price (for capacity) and from a company that will ship drives in respectable packaging.

Why don't you help me instead? I want to buy a car. 2000cc and up. Please give me the most trustworthy, reliable, trusty model and brand. And price too please. Then I will see what i can do for you about your drive.

Jesus!

thanks you so much

i mean price for a 320GB , internal hard disk

so western digital are more trusty then seagate , is it the best choice?

i running xp

sorry i'm a novice

Out of the 100's of drives I see a year, there hasn't been any difference in reliability across the board from the various manufacturers. (That includes Samsung, Seagate, WDC, Hitachi, etc in sizes ranging from 80GB to 500GB).

Lately, it seems that the shipping method and packaging has more bearing on a drive failure than any brand/model/size from my experience.

AKA, get the one with the best warranty and return procedure, best price (for capacity) and from a company that will ship drives in respectable packaging.

i read for example a lot of seagate with firmare issues

Barracuda 7200.11

ST31000340AS

ST31000640AS

ST3750330AS

ST3750630AS

ST3640330AS

ST3640630AS

ST3500320AS

ST3500620AS

ST3500820AS

ST31500341AS

ST31000333AS

ST3640323AS

ST3640623AS

ST3320613AS

ST3320813AS

ST3160813AS

Barracuda ES.2 SATA

ST31000340NS

ST3750330NS

ST3500320NS

ST3250310NS

DiamondMax 22

STM31000340AS

STM31000640AS

STM3750330AS

STM3750630AS

STM3500320AS

STM3500620AS

STM3500820AS

STM31000334AS

STM3320614AS

STM3160813AS

As stated, 1 Tb drives give you the lowest cost pr. GB - so buy a 1 TB drive.

I've bought 2 Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 Tb and they are fast and pretty silent.

I also own 3 Western Digital Caviar 32 mb cache 1 TB Eco green drives - they are slower, but very stable running. They are great for backup drives and music jukebox drives, because they are close to silent and almost don't produce any kind of heat.

I would stick with either Samsung or Western Digital. All drives fail at some point, but I've had a run of bad luck with drives from Hitachi and Maxtor, so I stay away from these brands..

Others mileage may vary :)

Edited by dr.ralph

thanks Chewy but i read that a lot of seagate had lots of issues

i mean with the firmware here and here

i want a reliable drive , wich model of seagate should i buy? are Barracuda® 7200.12 Hard Drives very trusty?

Drugo,

1TB hard disk drives seem to have the lowest cost per GB ratio at the moment. You can find prices on 1TB drives as low as $75 if you look hard.

An example of a cheap 1TB disk can be found here

BBH

Thanks Big Buck Hunter

but today i was been in a store and the 1tb costs exactly double of the 500gb so i did not find a economy

As stated, 1 Tb drives give you the lowest cost pr. GB - so buy a 1 TB drive.

I've bought 2 Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 Tb and they are fast and pretty silent.

I also own 3 Western Digital Caviar 32 mb cache 1 TB Eco green drives - they are slower, but very stable running. They are great for backup drives and music jukebox drives, because they are close to silent and almost don't produce any kind of heat.

I would stick with either Samsung or Western Digital. All drives fail at some point, but I've had a run of bad luck with drives from Hitachi and Maxtor, so I stay away from these brands..

Others mileage may vary :)

thanks you so much

i was thinking about the black version , because i will use to install xp

i guess they are trusty too , i mean the black line

what does scarry about wd are many firmware to download , i guess ,the drive has to be empty to flash ,with no data

i'm undecided about Barracuda® 7200.12 Desktop Hard Drives or WD Caviar Black