Sign in to follow this  
Very Visual

SSD - Most Important Metric

When looking at SSD's, which metric to you find to be more important? IOPS or MB/s.

I've been hearing you should focus on IOPS more, but MB/s makes a lot more sense to me.

thank you

For what kind of use? For desktop use, neither is important.

For server use, IOPS for your specific workload are what you are interested in. Again, your specific workload.

MB/sec for reads and writes is a low-level metric discussed right here on Storagereview and other sites as a metric with almost no bearing on actual end-user or server/workstation performance; obviously a drive that's absurdly slow will be a problem but so long as you're in the ballpark, you will learn very little from it.

If you are talking about MB/sec in specific benchmarks then that may be a useful metric, but again you need to be very specific.

The most critical issue facing most SSDs today is performance stuttering-- where the whole system goes non-responsive while the SSD writes data. Anandtech discusses this in detail.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

For me on my computer?

Maximum access latency.

Seriously. With STR, ALL are more than fast enough.

Same for read IOPS.

Whats left is maximum latency: If the computer is blocked for a second because of some stupid write-io lag, than you notice it more than anything else. As long as there are no big blocking latencies, even 50 Write IOPS are fine on the desktop

thanks these are some good ways of looking at it. I'm more interested in the server arena -- but wanted to know how to look at it as a whole.

I forget, all the metrics are nice, but you need to see how you are specifically looking at the devices.

I will be reading through this article.

Thanks again for your comments and ideas.