Sign in to follow this  
Tacoboy

Lifespan of SSD drives?

I'm thinking of replacing my Samsung HD753LJ boot drive with an SSD drive.

I hear that SSD drives slow down after a period of use.

Over what period of time does an SSD drive start to slow down?

Is it a few months?

Or a few years?

I'm thinking of replacing my Samsung HD753LJ boot drive with an SSD drive.

I hear that SSD drives slow down after a period of use.

Over what period of time does an SSD drive start to slow down?

Is it a few months?

Or a few years?

I think you will see an effect in a month of normal use. The biggest reason is the need to consolidate free space. That is not the same as defragmentation, but you can do both if you want, somewhat against the conventional wisdom.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=52329

I think the Intel SSD is something of an exception however, and I don't believe it is recommended to do anything along the lines of free-space consolidation with that one, but you may want to research that also.

Of course, it helps to do the usual tweaks well-known to all SSD users also; see the OCZ forum for those too, or use the SSD Tweak Utility, for an easy-to-use GUI method.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=49779

Well, the problem kinda is that currently, no SSD has any possibility of knowing what free space to consolidate.

As it is not FS-aware, all it can do is shuffle data around, not knowing if its full or empty. Thats why Fusion-IO is only really fast if you reserve part of the space as "always empty".

Future driver / OSes will address this, though.

I have heard that comment made, but if you check it out (and even better, try it yourself), you will find out that free space consolidation in fact restores the speed to the original value. That is why people do it. I think the better question is that as wear-leveling shuffles the data around, does it continue to work in the long run, over the course of many months or years? The returns are not in on that one yet that I have seen.

Edited by jf2000