Sign in to follow this  
Tacoboy

AHCI, enable or leave disabled?

I just built a new AMD (920) quad core PC, Windows XP x64 Pro, with Asus M3A78-T (790GX/SB750 chipset).

I'm using 2 Samsung HD753LJ HDs, one for boot (100GB partition) the other for Virtual memory (20GB partition).

I did not enable the AHCI (NCQ) when I built the new PC, but might enable it (with recovery reinstall).

So do the Samsung HD753LJ work faster with NCQ or with out NCQ?

Well, the big benefits of AHCI are that it allows a lot more of the 'drive control' to be handled by both the controller chip and the drive itself than with "legacy IDE" mode. Among the benefits are better power control, (although most modern OSes do a decent job of it in software to make handling it in hardware moot,) NCQ, and hot-plug. If you're not going with a RAID, or with a data disk you may want to swap out semi-regularly, then the hot-plug doesn't really matter. NCQ is a bit of a tossup with most 'desktop computer' uses.

So choosing AHCI is more about 'wanting to be legacy free' than anything else in your case.

Theoretically, one can get higher performance and/or lower CPU usage in AHCI, but I haven't seen any quantitative analysis of this.

Looks like I'm going to recovery/reinstall the Win Xp x64 Pro and it looks like it's better to use a PATA DVD drive for doing the install with AHCI turned on.

Good afternoon,

Generally speaking, AHCI is superior to legacy ATA in almost all ways. It has it's share of implementation issues though. My advice is to enable it, unless something specific is preventing it. If you can not, contact the hardware vendor (or software vendor in the case of MS) and get them to fix their implementation so that you can enable it.

Frank