Sign in to follow this  
Ekke

OCZ Vertex ssd launched!

After the drives were recalled they have, thanks to the community!, decided on the new firmware. So we will soon see the drives in store now.

Some preliminary benches from cdfreaks upcomming review can be found in the thread below.

"Now the Vertex.

No tweaks other than the partition aligned to 64K

Verdict:

It just doesn't get any better than this for a system drive.

Some of the loading times of applications can't be measured by a human with a stopwatch. They are instant, such as Internet Explorer, MS Word, Adobe Fireworks CS.

Installing applications is much faster on a single Vertex than it is on the Core V2 RAID and Apex RAID.

For more, see my full review when it's published on cdfreaks.com.

[hint] My review will contain benchmarks, but more of it will be focused on "real world" use.

"

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...p;postcount=221

Looks like we finally have a "cheap" ssd that perform well!

I'm pretty excited that SSDs are coming quite mainstream. Would be really nice on a laptop. Now the question is how well performance can stay up there with general usage. They have found Intels aggressive write combining algorithms wreaks havoc on the fragmentation.

You can check out a preview, which shows it can def hold it's on compared to intel in raw benchies.

Also Win7 should help alleviate some of the problems we have in SSD like formatting with he correct boundaries in NTFS. Current formatting maps right in the middle of SSD pages. Also auto defrag will be turned off. You can check out the WinHEC PPT about it.

I read that if the SSD uses Jmicro controller it has significant performance problem. Is this really the case?
The OCZ Vertex is not using the JMicron 602 controller but a Indilinx Barefoot controller which looks like being really better.
You can check out a preview, which shows it can def hold it's on compared to intel in raw benchies.
According to the preview (IOMeter) Intel better handles the NCQ feature that any other SSD.

This "Database oriented" graph is very confusing as it shows the Vertex to perform slower than a single raptor...which is not coherent regarding the nice performance seen from other parts of the preview :unsure:

Also Win7 should help alleviate some of the problems we have in SSD like formatting with he correct boundaries in NTFS. Current formatting maps right in the middle of SSD pages. Also auto defrag will be turned off. You can check out the WinHEC PPT about it.
Win7 "copy-on-write" feature allows to delay the stuttering problem...but does not solve it.

I think, we have to handle a "refresh" procedure if we want to keep a nice sustained throughput.

The problem today with ssd's is that they max out the sata controllers and the southbridge. And you really notice if a motherboard has a subpar southbridge and controller ...