ButtonPuncher

>2TB volume on 2000 Server

Hi,

We are still running Windows 2000 Server on our file server at work (only for a few more months). Is there any way to use a GUID/GPT volume? I just picked up a 3ware Sidecar for our Nearline backup with four 1TB drives. I'd like to make them into one large RAID volume. BTW, this thing was a steal at $200. A AMCC/3ware 9650SE controller is $350 just by itself.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi,

We are still running Windows 2000 Server on our file server at work (only for a few more months). Is there any way to use a GUID/GPT volume? I just picked up a 3ware Sidecar for our Nearline backup with four 1TB drives. I'd like to make them into one large RAID volume. BTW, this thing was a steal at $200. A AMCC/3ware 9650SE controller is $350 just by itself.

Thanks,

Ben

Windows 2000 can only use 32-bit Logical Block Addresses so it tops out at 2 TB in a single volume. The NTFS limit is much larger but you need to use Dynamic Disks to combine the volumes within Windows. The best you can do with your hardware is to create two 1.5 TB volumes on the RAID controller then concatenate them (NOT STRIPE) into a single dynamic volume.

I said concatenate because you are basically dividing the disks in half when you create the 1.5 TB volumes. If you stripe across them the disks will have to seek across 1/2 the platter and back for *every* stripe write. By creating a concatenated volume you will fill the first volume then spill over to the 2nd volume when the first is full, avoiding all the long seeks.