norberto

A few questions about RAID in a X58 motherboard

Hi,

I'm building a new i7 system. I'm thinking of building a RAID 1 volume with the motherboard RAID feature (I suppose it's a "fakeraid").

Nonetheless I have a few questions that I would like to clear out before making any decisions:

1) the fact that the ICH10R RAID is a "fakeraid" will compromise somehow the reliability of the raid?

2) will I have to install the Intel Matrix Storage driver on Vista in order to use the RAID1 volume, or I only have to install the Intel Inf drivers?

3) if I unplug one of the hard drives from the RAID1 volume and plug it on another computer (or an external SATA box), will the drive be recognized as a "single drive", or it is only recognized when it's used on the RAID1 volume?

2) will I have to install the Intel Matrix Storage driver on Vista in order to use the RAID1 volume, or I only have to install the Intel Inf drivers?

I think you have to enable the RAID/AHCI feature from the BIOS, create your array, then install the latest Intel Matrix Storage driver at Vista installation time.

Edited by HachavBanav

1) the fact that the ICH10R RAID is a "fakeraid" will compromise somehow the reliability of the raid?

No. But the ICH9R is really irritating in that it rebuilds the array every time there is an un-clean shutdown (i.e. crash, power loss, or you press the reset button).

All drivers are inf drivers. However the Intel "Inf Update" can't be used pre-install anyway.

3) if I unplug one of the hard drives from the RAID1 volume and plug it on another computer (or an external SATA box), will the drive be recognized as a "single drive", or it is only recognized when it's used on the RAID1 volume?

Yes and no.

Nope. Worst case scenario, you have two identical drives.

Vista has ICH10R-compatible RAID drivers built-in. No extra drivers 'required', although installing the Intel INF drivers (which really just tells Device Manager the proper names of things,) is recommended. IMSM (Intel Matrix Storage Manager,) is a good idea, but not by any means required.

If you plug it in to another ICH9+ machine set in AHCI or RAID mode, it will know that the disk is a member of a RAID; and if you have IMSM loaded, it will warn you; but it will also let you use it. If you plug it in to a system that isn't an ICH9+ system in AHCI or RAID mode (which includes an ICH9+ system in "IDE compatibility" mode,) it will see it as just a lone drive. Won't even warn you that it was part of a (now-broken) RAID.

Note that Intel now has a "Rapid Recovery RAID" option in ICH10 that is basically a RAID-1 setup that specifically specifies a 'master' and 'slave' drive. You can even tell it to not be a 'true' RAID-1, but only to update when you tell it to. (It's main purpose is for notebooks or SFF-desktops that only have room for one internal drive; so you can have an eSATA drive as the 'backup' RAID drive. The nice thing is that since it's handled at the hardware level, it's OS independent if you have "constant" backup turned on.)