itsmejto

CLONE drive from sata to scsi , won't boot

XP media edition on an sata drive was cloned (HDclone and ghost 14 tried) to an scsi replacement (dell pec 4e/dc)

I have the modified dell/sli drivers for XP.

I can get a new install to boot fine from the scsi, but obviously the required scsi startup files when cloned are for the sata drives and need to be scsi.

have tried a novaback restore from tape drive but that fails to boot also.

I'm to blame here because I really don't understand the differences between the required scsi and asata drivers.

But was hoping someone with a little more experience may be able to point me in the right direction of which files to modify or replace.

Or which files NOT to overwrite if I do a novaback FULL restore to a standard basic bootable install to the scsi drive.

I have several years of "good stuff" on this drive , though the ide to sata transfer went without a hitch a couple years ago.

Now decided to return to scsi to use up a huge JBOD/raid rack of drives.

While I'm at it, can someone please enlighten me on which files to copyover to get my e-mail running as it was.

I still have the original sata boot drive with all data in tact.

BTW, the windows "transfer settings and files" failed several times.

You should first install the new adapter in the system running on SATA and then clone.

I did, the scsi and sata controllers co-exist and work. I can access both the sata and scsi drives, but cannot clone a boot drive to the scsi that will boot, I have already enabled the scsi to boot first, and have as mentioned earlier verified it works/boots with a clean basic winXP install. It's the cloning that ferks things up by not loading the correct drivers for the scsi as it cloned the sata drivers from the existing boot drive.

I explored the boot.ini but could find nothing that would stop it booting as they appear to be identicle to eachother (sata and scsi)

The correct scsi drivers are avalable on the sata drive in windows/system32/drivers and are loaded when booting from the sata drive and recognise the scsi drives connected.

There must be something I'm missing or overwriting when cloning as the scsi boot drive is seen, but not booted from.

This should help, too.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums...74/m/1400925745

Don't be mislead by the subject, the main thing here is that you're changing the disk controller, and hence that thread is generally relevant for you. :)

lots of interesting and helkpfull info there, but the only part that really sticks out in my plight is ..........

"Those who boot from SATA or SCSI are on their own."

Edited by itsmejto

Did you remove the SATA disk after cloning and before rebooting?

Yes, and dissabled the ide and sata controllers on the motherboard.

I've been working on this for 5 days now and we all know how long a backup/restore/clone/win-install can take.

It's got to be a driver missing/overwrite issue as a basic new win-install works fine.

But after a fresh win-install and a tape restore it won't boot if I chose to overwrite all, if I choose to only overwtire older files it will boot but i'm missing most of my setup/programs etc. Same with don't overwrite anything.

after some editing of the boot.ini file I now get a semi-boot procedure finding the correct drive and boot path for the o/s (xp) , I can get the f8 choice screen and trying to boot into safe mode I even get a flash of the winxp splash screen and the loading bar, then it just reboots by itself.

I'm guessing some drivers are still overlapping.

Is this a situation where running sysprep before cloning might help, in a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' kind of way?

ots of interesting and helkpfull info there, but the only part that really sticks out in my plight is ..........
yeah but the key here in that thread (read further down, not just the OP-- do a search!) is removing the chipset-specific disk controller drivers and forcing Window to use the default ones on the first boot til you can load the proper ones. :)

The sticker for you is making sure Windows has the SCSI card drivers already available... sounds like it might, but you might need to drag 'em into /SYSTEM32 or something. I'm not 100% sure here and neither is the guy who wrote that guide. :( A Windows repair install doesn't help?

I've been "ghosting" since around '96. Migrating between scsi and ide, then add on sata...all trouble free. No need to disable other controllers. It's all methodology.

1. add new card with any formatted drive attached and install drivers when prompted. full reboot and verify drive accessability (copy/paste something)

2. (for NT versions including xp) mod boot.ini to reflect all controller types (multi) to make life easy.

sample: (for first drive as boot)

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

3. shutdown and do whatever hardware changes

special: I always format drives and ghost in a real dos environment (home made boot cd), eliminating all windows interferences.

4. boot and format new drive, also don't forget to set active (bootable)...reboot

5. Ghost partition (don't ghost the drive, only the partition, and use regular cloning, not forensic) This method accepts partition size changes without partition table or directory corruption. Also, be sure ghost will stop on ANY errors (like bad cluster reads)

6.Shutdown and finalize hardware, like disconnecting the power to the drive you don't want

7. Boot to bios and be sure add-on card is first in line.

8. Boot to new windows

The only hiccups I get are the occasional bad clusters which require repair prior to reattempting cloning operation.

If you are early in your scsi use, you need to make sure ALL of your termination is correct. Incorrect termination, if windows will even boot, will cause all kinds of errors and crashing...very important!

I use this method to clone in and out of (hardware) raid arrays, jbod, and between controller types ide/ata, sata, scsi. Always successfull.

Good Luck

If you are early in your scsi use, you need to make sure ALL of your termination is correct. Incorrect termination, if windows will even boot, will cause all kinds of errors and crashing...very important!

Or use SAS! Soooo much easier! :D

Did you remove the SATA disk after cloning and before rebooting?

Yes, and dissabled the ide and sata controllers on the motherboard.

I've been working on this for 5 days now and we all know how long a backup/restore/clone/win-install can take.

It's got to be a driver missing/overwrite issue as a basic new win-install works fine.

But after a fresh win-install and a tape restore it won't boot if I chose to overwrite all, if I choose to only overwtire older files it will boot but i'm missing most of my setup/programs etc. Same with don't overwrite anything.

Is this still an issue ?

I assume you use XP which has native drivers for the scsi card.

You are missing a good clone app.

Use Casper

I clone a sata to a scsi drive and vice versa all the time--no issue, no drivers for one , not the other.

Edited by troop

Windows XP can be *REALLY* flaky with regard to switching drive controllers. If the storage controller for what you're wanting to boot from didn't have its drivers loaded *AT INSTALL TIME*, you might be out of luck.

For example, even switching from "AHCI" mode to "RAID" mode on an Intel ICH SATA controller can cause havoc if drivers are not installed properly up front.

My experience on this is with Windows 2003, but this could be one of those times when you have to add entries to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase for the new controller. Do the same in ControlSet001, 002 etc.

You can find which strings to use from Device Manager, Properties > Details > Device instance ID on the new controller, then find the corresponding entry in CriticalDeviceDatabase, and from there you can find the corresponding Service and find that under Services

My way of doing this is to export the keys from a system already booting from the new controller. Not that I do it that often, nowadays. I was looking for ways to port a server image to a system with a different array controller, without using Sysprep (since it breaks remapped drives - they were Citrix servers).

I'm not saying this is definitely the solution to your problem, but if you've tried all the previous suggestions and are still struggling, it may be worth looking into.

Edited by Spod