Sign in to follow this  
TheR

Registered or not registered that is the question now

New Intel Corei7 procesors support 6 memory stick, which can be 4GB each for total of 24GB RAM. Which is quite a lot. And indeed some motherboard makers already have products that claim support for 24GB of RAM.

Memory is DDR3 ECC, but not registered. I did some research and found that registered memory is mainly neeaded by servers with big amounts of memory, because memory controller would not be able to work with larger amounts of memory.

My question is. Might Corei7 have some problems using this large amount of non buffred memory?

by

TheR

If the mainboard AND it's compatible memory (compatible according to the manufacturer of the memory that is, not simply specs that match) then you should be fine.

Be aware that the memory controller is in the chip now, and not part of the northbridge, ala Athlon 64/Opteron style. So like the Athlon64/Opteron setup, it's all about the CPU and what it supports, and not what the mainboard supports.

Also be aware that the current i7 does NOT support ECC in any form at this time. http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=37149

If a mainboard manufacturer says otherwise, all it means is that the BIOS has the capability to turn ECC on or off on provision that the CPU itself has support for it. Since all current i7's lack support, buying ECC ram will be a wasted effort.

Also be aware that the current i7 does NOT support ECC in any form at this time. http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=37149

If a mainboard manufacturer says otherwise, all it means is that the BIOS has the capability to turn ECC on or off on provision that the CPU itself has support for it. Since all current i7's lack support, buying ECC ram will be a wasted effort.

This is a good information. It looks like will have to wait for (probably) more expensive Xeon version of CPU :angry: , because ECC should be essential for 24/7 machine.

by

TheR

Edited by TheR

Since all current i7's lack support, buying ECC ram will be a wasted effort

But registered RAM may be worthwhile if you deal in really big amounts. Most registered RAM I've seen is also ECC though - and expensive. If the board - CPU combo is supported to work with 6 unbuffered 4 GB sticks, I'd go for it.

If you go to somewhere like Crucial and tell them your motherboard, they'll guarantee their memory will work on that board. Saves hassle returning it if you have any problems.

While 24 GB on a Core i7 is currently unusual, if it says it's supported, then you just have to match up the official compatability lists and it should work just fine. If you want to use ECC RAM, then yes, you'll have to wait for the Xeon 5570 et. al, and suitable motherboards to run them on. Could be May by the time they're available, but that's an unsubstantiated rumour.