Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Anyone playing with the x64 Win 7 beta?

So I figured I'd throw the x64 Win 7 beta onto my pc. However, the installer doesn't see any ummm drive(s) connected to my 39160 to install to. I copied 4 adpu160xxxx files out of the same pc (but with Vista x64 installed) & stuck those on a usb drive. When I plug in a blank disk (other drives now unplugged) & proceed with the Win 7 install, it fails to see any drives & gives me a "driver not signed" error if I try to load storage drivers (on the usb stick).

I guess I'd like to confirm this is happening to others before I start pointing a finger at my box. If anyone has the time & means to attempt a Win 7 x64 on SCSI it would be greatly appreciated. Please provide any hardware/install details :)

Right now I'm (successfully) installing Windows 7 Beta 32-bit on a VMware Workstation 6.0 VM, which presents a SCSI drive on an LSI controller ("LSI Logic LSI53C10xx Ultra320 SCSI I/O controller") to the guest OS. Couldn't try 64-bit because the host OS is 32-bit, and VMWare workstation can't host 64-bit guests onm a 32-bit host. (ESX is different).

So, SCSI can work, though it's highly likely that a VMware VM forms part of their standard test routine, so it's not that surprising that it works.

Sorry I can't be more help, but it's a start.

My work laptop had a really f*cked up vista sp1 installation. I decided to install win 7 x64 just to try it out and then install xp or windows 2008 server for real use. I haven't managed to part with win 7 though, everything works, no stability problems so far (previously the computer crashed a few times a day), and it's really fast! Feels faster than xp ever did (xp was 32bit though).

I don't know about drivers, but any vista driver is supposed to work. All hardware so far has been recognized automatically including chipset with lan, wlan, sound etc...

VMware can run a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host. The experience is like watching grass grow though. During winter.

However, the installer doesn't see any ummm drive(s) connected to my 39160 to install to.

IIRC, MS are starting to strip out drivers for older hardware, like UW, U2W and U160 controllers, in Win7. Since VMWare emulates a U320 controller, the drivers are still present.

Same thing happened for people who still have functional tape drives in Vista, you need drivers from the manufacturer and 3rd party backup software! (More $$$$).

Since MS hasn't released the HCL for Win7, it's hard to say exactly what drivers are and are not included. But you're not alone, a quick google search indicates quite a few people still use the 39160 (include me on that list), and can't get the controller working in Win7.

In many respects MS are doing a good job to obsoleting functional hardware, which in turn is driving users to continue to use XP or look at alternative OSes, like Linux, *BSD or OpenSolaris.

It's a bloody BETA for god's sake!

Complain when the RTM doesn't know your hardware.

And let's be realistic: how bad will it hurt M$ if people using obsolete SCSI controllers stick with XP or switch to *nix...? The only really useful hardware you use those for these days are hard disks and tape drives. Almost noone uses tape drives on desktop pc's and SCSI drives are becoming a thing of the past.

You are not alone in this problem as I have tried repeatedly to install Win 7 various ways using my 39160 with no success. Tried clean install and even tried upgrade from working Vista install but it will not accept drivers for the 39160. Odd thing is I have an older pc with a Tekram DC-390U2 that installed fine using XP drivers. Looks like I/we have to upgrade to a 39320 controller if we want Win 7, as they seem to be supported. On MS site there is someone who says he installed by doing this:

"I have both a 32-bit and 64 bit version of Win 7 running on my 39160. For the x64 your looking for 6.5.645.100 with driver date 1/31/2007 and you'll need both adpu160m.sys and adpu160m.inf which I copied from my vista x64 installed system. These are the difficult ones. The only way to install Win 7 x64 is to first install on a recognized controller. Once installed, the next step is to install the vista x64 drivers thru device manager so the controller is recognized in your newly installed x64 OS. Next step is to install Win 7 x64 on a disk behind your 39160 from within Win 7 x64. Then you can delete the first install of Win 7 x64. Be careful to know where your boot manager is. Mine was on my deleted Win7 x64 system so I simply used the repair installation process from my Vista x64 install dvd and bingo, all done. I'm now running a couple of Seagate drives behind my 39160 with Win7 and Win7 x64 installed and my boot manager is installed one of them."